Console computer possibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had an expensive trip this weekend but other than insult to injury no worse for wear. Console computer crapped out this morning on a dive.

I’ve been saving for one of the new garmin MKI 2’s and was planning on buying next month and using as the primary computer with my console as the back up.

There is a high probability my console computer will be covered under warranty. But in the event it’s not

Do I get the garmin and a set of gauges for back up?

Do I get the garmin and a console as dual set up?

Many people dive with a wrist-mount dive computer and a simple SPG on the first stage (or a transmitter, if they have an AI computer). Most divers I know also have a wrist or retractor-mount compass. So a console is not something I see very often. Just an SPG, which is not that expensive.

So: the Garmin and an SPG or transmitter would be my suggestion.

Whatever you decide, give your tech a new tube of o-ring grease when you have him change batteries pre-emptively every six months.

(Save the receipt)

It depends what you want out of a backup. If you’re diving locally and just want to get to the surface if your computer craps out, and don’t care about more dives that day. gauges work.

If you’re on an expensive dive trip someplace and really don’t want to miss dives, an actual backup computer is very good to have. Falling back to tables is often suggested but not practical for a number of reasons for that sort of diving.

I’ve always found a console to be a handy place to keep a backup computer. Hard to forget it there. Much more useful than on shore or on the boat.

So I use aScubapro G2 wrist computer with a wireless pressure sensor as my primary and an Oceanic DataPro 3 console as my backup. I mainly do a live aboard 2 - 4 times a year. Don’t want to have an issue if a computer goes down, which has happened.

Shearwater perdix on my wrist and nothing else on the rig. If it dies on a trip a have a ProPlus 2.1 in my SAD as a backup. No need for additional hoses and gages. After getting my Perdix I realized how much I hate consoles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom