Considering new nitrox wrist computer. Thinking about Aeris XR-2.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSAT was the older Oceanic algorithm and as you know all their newer computers now provide a second more conservative choice. I'm not aware of any studies on DCS accidents vs algorithm. It would be quite difficult to perform such a study on rare events that occur within the rules of the computer. But absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It's clear that if you dive close to the limits, a more conservative computer is safer. It has to because the conservative computer will allow less nitrogen loading or slower unloading or both.

Lets consider a dive to the non deco limit by a liberal computer. For the same dive a more conservative computer will prescribe a deco stop by definition, so the guy who dives the latter comes up slower, and offgasses more before surfacing. Unless you totally reject decompression theory you can't deny that the diver with more nitrogen at surface is at more risk for DCS. There is just no way around it.

It's tempting to choose a computer with the liberal algorithm because you get more bottom time, but what you don't see or feel is that you're cutting you margin of safety. You don't feel it until you get hit. IMO

Adam

Hi Adam,

Your condescending attitude is not necessary. You are very conservative, to each their own.

Liberal vs. conservative for decompression algorithms is a relative term. Liberal is probably very safe whereas conservative may be very, very safe. I'm happy with very safe, each diver should choose their own comfort zone. Opinion and fact should be appropriately labeled.

Good diving, Craig

Last edited:
Turns out I'm getting an XR1-nx for Christmas. Reading through the instructions I'm curious about one thing. While the computer is scrolling through the dive plan mode, pressing the button takes you right to the FO2 set screen. After setting the FO2 do you have to scroll through all of the other set screens to get back to the dive planner?

Aeris is made by Oceanic and they are not nearly as good of a computer. If I were you I would go with an Oceanic, you get a far better computer for basicly the same price. Any of these would be great, VEO 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, GEO 2.0 or if you have the money and want to go air intergrated go with the Atom 3.0. You should get an Oceanic it is much better.

Aeris is made by Oceanic and they are not nearly as good of a computer. If I were you I would go with an Oceanic, you get a far better computer for basicly the same price. Any of these would be great, VEO 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, GEO 2.0 or if you have the money and want to go air intergrated go with the Atom 3.0. You should get an Oceanic it is much better.

Hi Shftrdog,

American Underwater Products is the parent company for Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, and Pelagic Pressure Systems. Though Aeris has been described as the value based line, I've not heard of specific quality issues. Do you have data to support your statements?

There are design and feature issues that may lead a diver to choose one over the other. As an example, most Oceanic computers utilize dual algorithm (Pelagic DSAT and Z+). Aeris computers generally use DSAT but are starting to use dual algorithm. Hollis uses only Z+.

There has been discussion lately regarding DSAT and Z+. DSAT is the most liberal, DSAT with the conservative factor and Z+ have nearly the same NDLs, Z+ with the conservative factor has the shortest NDLs.

Good diving, Craig

I don't imagine the fact that you're an Oceanic dealer has anything to do with your opinion.

My family has 5 Oceanic computers, I like them too, just trying to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom