Considering Moving To A Vtx How Is It Today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sub-Mariner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the never ending quest to reduce my travel tech I'm considering moving from my VT4 to a VTX. I do know there were some initial issues when the unit transitioned from aeris to oceanic. I was wondering if these issues were resolved. Also since I am android based if someone can comment on the android software it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can't figure out why you would switch from a perfectly good VT4 to a VTX at this point in your diving experience, as limited as it is. I've been diving a VT3 as my primary computer since July 2000, 665 dives, and can't think of a good reason to change as long as it's working. I'd be very interested in your rationale, because you can?

I'm sorry if my dive experience falls short of your standards of an experienced diver. The reason that I am considering the VTX is I am looking to lighten up my overall travel gear. Right now I am considering ditching my VT4 laptop combo in favor of a VTX tablet combo. This is still in the research stage and it may very well turn out that sticking with the VT4 laptop combo may end up being the best option. That being said the information that I am looking for as stated above is the experience of VTX owners who have or had the unit and can provide some insight into there experience.

Um, I'm confused.

I've got an Aeris Elite T3, the same as the VT3 -- and I believe the same crappy serial-over-USB interface as the VT4. Anyway, I use my VT3 just fine with an Android tablet.

The requirement on the hardware side is a cable that will allow the PDC to plug into the tablet, with the tablet acting in USB Host On The Go (OTG) mode.

On the software side, you'll need something that 'speaks dive computer'. I've been very happy with DiveMate and the optional ($) "transfer pack" that understands the VT3.

No need for a laptop.

Of course, if you do get the VTX (because everyone loves new gear), I'd be happy to take the VT4 off your hands :)

Thank you for giving me an option for my VT4 and I will consider it. Unfortunately this does not answer my op.

In the never ending quest to reduce my travel tech I'm considering moving from my VT4 to a VTX. I do know there were some initial issues when the unit transitioned from aeris to oceanic. I was wondering if these issues were resolved. Also since I am android based if someone can comment on the android software it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure if I can be of help, but I do have the Oceanic VTX. My previous dive computer was the SUUNTO EON STEEL, so here are my thoughts:

1. The VTX is much smaller than the EON STEEL, and seems to do just as good of a job. The VTX is more comfortable. I have small complaints about both, but nothing major.
  2. Neither seem to have a great computer/tablet integration... why they can't get it together and make something that works cross-platform is mind boggling. But after hours and hours of googling, emailing, testing... neither one is perfect. Example - I've got 40+ dives logged onto my SUUNTO, which are sitting nice and snug in my MD5 software/log program. Why can't I import them into the diverlog software that the VTX uses? I don't know! And nobody at either company seems to be able to help me there. :p
  3. The battery life on the VTX is not impressive, but it's not horrible, and the case has cutouts to put extra batteries. The batteries are cheap, so just be sure to stock up on them. My first battery lasted a couple months (~15 dives).
I'm not an Android user, so I can't help you with anything related to that... but I'd be happy to answer any other questions. What kind of "issues" are you concerned about, regarding the latest VTX?

I know there was a recall at one time, but if you're getting a new VTX that won't affect you.

I have an Aeris A300 CS (from before Oceanic took it over and rebadged it as the VTX). As far as I'm aware there is no Android integration, but would be happy for others to correct me. I have a Surface Pro 4 as a "tablet" and of course the A300 works fine with that. I use Diving Log 6.0 for my logging software on the Surface Pro and then upload to Dive Logs for an online log. This combination works brilliantly. Plus I have fully featured photo and video editing software on the Surface Pro to make a comprehensive and lightweight travelling solution. Now, if only the rest of my dive gear and camera were so easy to travel with... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom