Considering Liveaboard in December, questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlcnuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While $ is always a factor, I'm debating the "cost benefits" of "mid-priced" vs. "cheap" LAs; i.e. Blackbeards $1k+ vs. a few different ~$2-2.5+k trips (I use + because the fees etc seem to be fairly similar) mostly on other factors right now. I would be going by myself, but it seems that factor isn't really any different from one LA to another from what I've been reading, does that sound about right?

As far as I can tell, one aspect is better lodging for the higher prices, though I'm not 100% sure I care that much (I was in the Navy for 12 years so while I'd want more private/spacious accommodations if I had a traveling companion, a "bunk" doesn't really bother me and I imagine I'll be able to sleep through noise pretty easily, especially by the second night). So does the room really make it a better experience?

Bigger issue (I think?) is the availability of nitrox and increased number of dives. What really 'is" the difference in how much diving available between the two. ~5-10 dives more seems to be the indication from what I'm reading, but that doesn't really tell the whole story. Are the dives "much better" or "overall much longer" per dive (do the air only dives make NDLs cause the fewer dives to be also shorter as well I guess is the question)?

This would be my first LA, and I don't have that much diving experience (10 dives this year, including the 4 OW dives and 5 AOW dives... and some diving over a decade ago that is mostly forgotten at this point) and this seems like a good way to get some good diving experience at a reasonable cost. Anything else I should know about LAs as a novice diver that isn't covered in the "general tips for livaboards" thread?

Edit: one other question - what does everyone pack their dive gear in for a liveaboard? I was figuring a large suitcase would be good for travel, but if doing a liveaboard, I'm guessing having room to store the empty luggage would probably be an issue and my mesh backpack dive bag for carrying stuff in the car etc isn't what I'm checking on the plane...

While $ is always a factor, I'm debating the "cost benefits" of "mid-priced" vs. "cheap" LAs; i.e. Blackbeards $1k+ vs. a few different ~$2-2.5+k trips (I use + because the fees etc seem to be fairly similar) mostly on other factors right now. I would be going by myself, but it seems that factor isn't really any different from one LA to another from what I've been reading, does that sound about right?

As far as I can tell, one aspect is better lodging for the higher prices, though I'm not 100% sure I care that much (I was in the Navy for 12 years so while I'd want more private/spacious accommodations if I had a traveling companion, a "bunk" doesn't really bother me and I imagine I'll be able to sleep through noise pretty easily, especially by the second night). So does the room really make it a better experience?

Bigger issue (I think?) is the availability of nitrox and increased number of dives. What really 'is" the difference in how much diving available between the two. ~5-10 dives more seems to be the indication from what I'm reading, but that doesn't really tell the whole story. Are the dives "much better" or "overall much longer" per dive (do the air only dives make NDLs cause the fewer dives to be also shorter as well I guess is the question)?

This would be my first LA, and I don't have that much diving experience (10 dives this year, including the 4 OW dives and 5 AOW dives... and some diving over a decade ago that is mostly forgotten at this point) and this seems like a good way to get some good diving experience at a reasonable cost. Anything else I should know about LAs as a novice diver that isn't covered in the "general tips for livaboards" thread?

Edit: one other question - what does everyone pack their dive gear in for a liveaboard? I was figuring a large suitcase would be good for travel, but if doing a liveaboard, I'm guessing having room to store the empty luggage would probably be an issue and my mesh backpack dive bag for carrying stuff in the car etc isn't what I'm checking on the plane...
There is an old saying that "You get what you pay for". IMHO, there is certainly some truth to this when dealing with LOBs. Since you mention Blackbeard's, let me compare them with a more "upscale" LOB from the same company, the Aquacat. The lower priced LOBs have been referred to (rightly or wrongly) as "camping at sea". They have limited capability of producing fresh water if any capability so showers to rinse off after a dive are restricted. The only fresh water available is what they set sail with. On the Aquacat, there is a much more robust reverse-osmosis fresh water generation capability (I think it is in the neighbourhood of 500+ gallons per hour with a total storage capacity of 800 gal). This means that unless there is a problem, fresh water for drinking, rinsing or other purposes will not likely be restricted in any way. (Although they might remind you not to waste it.)

The next area of contrast is as you mentioned the capability for Nitrox. I do not know if the Blackbeard's boats have the capability, but I do not think that they do. That means that everybody will be breathing air. This may, by the end of the day have an impact on the length and/or depth of your dives as your NDL becomes a bigger factor after multiple dives. Boats such as the Aquacat do have the capability to generate Nitrox and it is available for you if you want it.

Space on a LOB, is always a factor and can be a premium. If you get along with everyone, then that is great, but sometimes you just need a little time to be alone. The higher priced boats tend to be larger not only in the common areas, but also in the cabins. While boats such as Blackbeard's may have a couple heads which are shared by all aboard, boats such as the Aquacat will have a head in each of the cabins as well as on the dive deck and another adjacent to the galley.

So, the bottom line is one which is not purely financial, but also includes a subjective aspect that one can only answer for themselves. That is for you, how much extra are you personally willing to pay for a trip that you will enjoy. If all you want to do is dive, and the rest doesn't matter, then an option such as a Blackbeard's might be the perfect option for you. If you value "creature comforts", then perhaps it might be worth it for you to pay the extra to get them.

To answer your last question, space is at a premium no matter which LOB you opt for. This includes the storage areas. I use a canvas wheeled duffle bag plus my carry-ons.

One final thought ... I just got home a couple days ago from a week on the Aquacat. For me, the benefits that come with the extra cost are worth every penny. No matter what LOB you opt for, have a great trip.

As a novice diver, don't be afraid to ask for tips/help improving your diving. Either from the DMs or even other passengers if they don't mind providing some. Had one novice diver shed at least 4 lbs of lead over the week, resulting in a better SAC rate. All with encouragement from the Captain/DMs.

I've taken trips on Blackbeards and on both mid-priced and higher-priced Liveaboards and I will freely admit that Blackbeards is good value for the money, but I prefer having some fresh water and privacy - so I agree that often you get what you pay for. I don't plan to go back to Blackbeards - but some divers really love it, and it is a bargain.

But since you are a new diver I want to mention that there may not be a divemaster in the water with you when you are on any LOB; so you have to be comfortable and able to navigate. It's usually not too hard, if you have to come up to the surface to look around - usually your boat is the only one nearby. You can probably find someone on the boat to buddy up with, and it is a great way to get a lot of dive experience - but it might be a bit daunting for an inexperienced diver traveling alone. Also, some LOBs primarily offer drift diving from smaller inflatable boats, so that is something to take into consideration when making travel plans.

As far as traveling alone, that is easier on Blackbeards because it is dormitory style accommodations and there are likely to be others traveling alone. On many other LOBs you usually find buddy pairs but you will get the double occupancy rate if you indicate a willingness to share a cabin with a same-gender diver (or divers, some LOBs have quad occupancy rooms). And the other guy(s) is probably looking for a buddy, too.

As far as Nitrox, that's up to you, but we started taking LOB trips long before Nitrox was available and it was never hard to do 4-5 dives per day because you have lots of time to rest and relax between dives, and it isn't hard to manage your NDLs if you pay attention to your computer and watch your depths - which you are going to do anyway.

A dive trip on a LOB is truly all about eating, sleeping, and diving. It's not like a land-based dive boat where you count down the clock before jumping back in the water and then rush back for lunch before going out for the afternoon dives.

Typically, they move the boat to a new mooring spot in the early morning and you get up early, eat breakfast and dive. Then you relax for a good long while before diving again before lunch. They move the boat again during lunch and then you have the whole afternoon to do a couple of more dives. They usually pick a shallower spot for the afternoon dives (or a site with shallow options). And you will wait until after dinner - when it is nice and dark - before doing a night dive, on the same spot or a new spot. Just eat, sleep, and dive. The divemasters will usually recommend depths and dive times for a site - but it's up to you and your computer and your tank. You usually get nice long intervals between dives on a LOB - and nice, long dives.

But I suggest looking for a dive shop that is planning a liveaboard trip and going with them - that way you will be with a group and will probably have no trouble finding a buddy and the shop will probably send a divemaster or instructor who will be very willing to help you expand your skills. And the divemasters on the boat will also be willing and helpful, but they are likely to be busy. Have a great trip!

Last edited:
I've been on Blackbeards twice and the rumors are true:
  • No Nitrox, only 4 AIR dives a day, Sun-Thurs; Fri just 2 AM dives. Approx total dives: 19 available.
  • As Kathy mentioned, the only 2 times the DM is in the water with you is the checkout dive and their shark feed dive. So get comfortable with your navigation or stay close to the boat.
  • There's only one shower on the boat and they do ask that you try and limit the fresh water use to about 30 seconds as the boat can only make so much water during the day. They do have a hose on deck that's collected AC condensation water so you are free to use that if you want.
  • The boat is SUPER tight quarters so if you don't get a long with someone, you can't hide. With these tight bunks, bring ear plugs as its a GUARANTEE that someone WILL SNORE.
If you're looking for something a little more upscale but not as luxury as the main livaboard boats, I would suggest you check out:
Juliet Sailing and Diving
Lost Island Voyages

As for what to pack, I've gone on quite a few livaboards and my experience is pack only what you think you need at a bare minimum. I personally dive with a BPW and travel fins so I actually am able to cram everything into a carry on and small backpack.

OP, another comment, if you are planning a trip in December then you should make a decision soon. That is the start of the high season and reservations may fill up fast so your choices may also be limited by availability. On the other hand, you might find a last-minute deal!

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I haven't found any diving I wasn't comfortable with yet, so I think having a buddy (even an insta-buddy on the boat) without a dedicated guide/DM will be enough to maintain my comfort level for any dive that isn't "too different" from what I've done before. I did do some dives in the Atlantic back in the day (off-shore from a buddy's boat launched from north of Jacksonville), plus springs (Devil's Den and Vortex Spring), tropical (Aruba), and beach dives in Pensacola. With decent visibility I don't foresee any issues with not being comfortable/confident in my abilities on the dives (I am decent with navigation, though hardly a "pro" at it).

As for the "creature comforts", while I generally live in better conditions these days, it wasn't long ago that I spent 6 years serving on a submarine with living conditions where 9 of us shared a room like this and all of my stuff for a 3 months trip fit in the "pan" under the mattress:
2010028283-300x0.jpg

The "shower" rule on submarines is "get wet, turn water off, clean up, turn water on just long enough to rinse off". It's got a term actually: a "submarine shower" or "navy shower".

I lived in those conditions for months at a time for years back in the day, so I don't think I'd find the creature comforts "too bad" for just a week out to sea (and back then I didn't have a "topside" to go to...).

I think doing the cheaper Blackbeard's may be a good "try it out" experience as an intro to liveaboards. I think I'll see about booking the trip later today.

OP, another comment, if you are planning a trip in December then you should make a decision soon. That is the start of the high season and reservations may fill up fast so your choices may also be limited by availability. On the other hand, you might find a last-minute deal!
I'm going to echo's Kathy's comment here as the start of the high season and spots are filling up really, really fast. Not to mention flights are getting more and more expensive as you near December dates. I will caution unless you want to pay through the nose, flying anywhere near xmas week in the Caribbean will set you back almost a grand.

If you're interested/able, my all time favorite livaboard, the Turks and Caicos Explorer 2 is having a 30% sale on the week of 12/30.

It's an amazing deal at 30% off but I know it's still double the cost of a Blackbeards trip but the benefits over BB trip:
  • Private cabins with private bathrooms, ample hot water
  • Nitrox available for additional cost
  • All dives are DM led, or you can go with your buddy/buddy group and do your own thing
  • Up to 27(5 dives a day Sun-Thurs; 2 dives Fri AM)dives total, 8 more than BB
If you're interested, you'll have to act fast as I think there are only 3 spots left for the 12/30 deal.

Thanks for pointing out the deal @scbaNE2179, but my vacation dates aren't flexible so it's the week of Christmas or none at all. I went ahead and booked the trip today with Blackbeard's. Now I gotta figure out how/what to pack for it. My current dive bag is NOT suitable as a checked bag (mesh dive gear backpack). They do say I can leave a suitcase with "going home" clothes in it at the shop, so maybe pack up big stuff in a large suitcase for the flight and transfer stuff to collapsible storage for the trip.

The Bahamas is far enough north that the water can get chilly in winter; region matters when looking at live-aboard options for December. Bahamas Aggressor is another boat in that general region. Here are some links that may help you out:

Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ats/495738-picking-caribbean-live-aboard.html

T.C.’s Report on Blackbeards May 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/484271-trip-report-blackbeard-s-cruises-24-30-may.html

Kimbalabala’s Blackbeards review 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wo...-liveaboard.html?highlight=Blackbeards+review

Craig66’s Question thread about Blackbeards - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...stion-about-dives-blackbeards-liveaboard.html

RCB1882’s May 2017 Belize Aggressor IV trip report- Trip Report: Belize Aggressor IV (April 2017)

Back
Top Bottom