Considering La Ceiba for Feb 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Jeff

Reaction score
Planning my second trip to Coz this February. First time was back in '97, when we stayed at Casa Del Mar. (Was not certified back then). It was ok, but didn't like being across the street, and not much for sand by the water.

We are considering La Ceiba this time around, and would love to hear your feedback, positive or negative. More Specifically:

1) What do you think of the beach here?
2) Are you so close to the cruise ships that they block out the horizon (sunsets)?
3) Sounds like all rooms have ocean view patios and fridges?
4) Any idea what the difference is between standard and superior rooms?
5) How's the snorkeling in front of hotel? Shore diving?
6) I've heard there's been some construction there as they gear up to become timeshares. Think this will still be going on in Feb?

Thanks!

HI Jeff,

I've stayed there a few times in the last couple of years. In response to your questions:

1. Not really much of a beach there. Nothing on the water. But then we are usually diving all day, and don't take time on the beach. It's beside the big pool, with the dock in between the beach and water. We spend time in the hot tub. It's right at the bar!!

2. Yes, the cruise ships will block the sunsets if they are still in port.

3&4. We have always booked a standard room through Expedia for around $75 a day, and when we tip the clerk a $20, have always recieved a room on the top floor. Nice balcony, fridge, sitting area, and king bed.

5. Nice shore dive right in front of the hotel and dive shop. You can get tanks there. Good snorkling too.

6. Was there in March, and what construction there was didn't get in the way.

I really suggest booking at the cheapest rate possible, then tipping the clerk and asking her for the top floor when you get there. Avoid the concierge at all costs - they are selling timeshares. If approached, tell them no - not interested. They have left us alone after that. Many complain of too many cruise ship passengers hanging around. I guess the hotel lets them use the beach and pool for a price. We haven't experienced too many people in our visits. Restaurant is OK for breakfast, but just take a cab downtown for Dinner.

Dpantle pretty much took the words right out of my mouth, except that I tended to hang out at Sr Frogs rather than the hotel hot tub.

Attached are a couple cruise ship and sunset photos from Nov 2003. I found the ferry and cruise ship comings and goings kind of interesting.

Stayed there early this year..not too bad..a lot of time share people showing the place and hard to get up and down the elevator..hooked up with Dive w/Martin which is just short walk from El Cid..they were wonderful..food except morning was nothing to write about..they did try to rip us off on the all-inclusive add on..we found food in Cozumel too expensive..paid extra for all-inclusive..when got ready to leave..claimed we didn't pay..asked how we cld have on the wrist bands if didnt pay..still charged agn

Jeff,
La Ceiba is our usual haunt, we love the place. I just got back from there a couple of weeks ago. the beach is nice but not huge, how much space does a guy need anyway, it split into 2 areas with the pools and the restaurant between them. they have added some chairs and lounges, there's hammocks under a shady area, a sand volleyball court.
it is right next to the international piers, but really the way the island sits you don't really get great sunsets anywhere there because the sun sets over the Yucatan accross the channel. the pre-sunsets can be pretty nice and with the cruise ships in the foreground it makes for a nice scene.
all the rooms are ocean view, have fridges and are fairly roomy and clean and most of them were updated some with new tile in the baths after El Cid bought the place a few years ago. the balconies are about 4' deep by 6-8' wide, not huge but big enough to dry the gear on and watch the cruise shippers ( bring binoculars). i think the superior rooms are more like a small suite, but have never stayed in one.
Yes, they are turning the place into a timeshare hotel over the next 5 years, currently the top 4 floors are closed and are being made into 2 story units. The construction was during the day and did not bother us at all and we were on the 8th floor just below it. i've heard that the 6-12th floors are going to be timeshare rooms and the the lower floors are going to still be weekly rooms. but i'm sure the construction will still be going on in Feb.
I think they have some of the best snorkeling and shore diving on the island as the area is protected by the international pier from a lot of the currents and surges. airplane flats is the site, there are remnants of a plane out just past the roped off swim area that was sunk durning the '70s for a movie set. don't get me wrong, there are plenty of nice places to snorkel and shore dive down there, hey, it's a tripical island! but this is really nice shallow dive and a great night dive also.
the food and service are always top notch, and the location is in my opinon one of the best on the island, it's a $4 cab ride to town, walking distance if you feel energetic, we've done it many times. also just a short stroll to Ernesto's fajita factory, yum, yum!
Holly and Armando run Island Photo and Video which is on the property at La Ceiba, the only full service photo lab on the island, she rents film and digital cameras and has great development servcices. Both of them are published professional photographers and videographers, and wonderful people.
Dive with Martin has a shop right next door in the cruise ship shopping center, he has a great operation, with very good DMs. will pick you up at La Ceiba's pier.
some packages include a free night dive and a free video, he has the best rates on the island also, cash only.
the draw backs are they will hit you up to do the "90 min." timeshare shpeal, but they are not real pushy about it. just tell them no if your not interested.
I can't really think of any others, the place is full of divers so it's always pretty quiet, very clean and a nice comfortable setting. the El Cid website www.elcid.com has some photos on it i think, at least one of the property from the air so you can see how big the beach area is. use a search engine to look up La CEIBA COZUMEL and you can find others.
hope all this helps, happy diving.
marc

MN Jeff:
Planning my second trip to Coz this February. First time was back in '97, when we stayed at Casa Del Mar. (Was not certified back then). It was ok, but didn't like being across the street, and not much for sand by the water.

We are considering La Ceiba this time around, and would love to hear your feedback, positive or negative. More Specifically:

1) What do you think of the beach here?
2) Are you so close to the cruise ships that they block out the horizon (sunsets)?
3) Sounds like all rooms have ocean view patios and fridges?
4) Any idea what the difference is between standard and superior rooms?
5) How's the snorkeling in front of hotel? Shore diving?
6) I've heard there's been some construction there as they gear up to become timeshares. Think this will still be going on in Feb?

Thanks!

Great info Marc!! Many thanks for everyones help. A couple of followup questions, if you'll indulge me:

1) So I understand that La Ceiba is quite close to the Int'l Pier, yet people still say the shore diving and snorkeling are quite good. All those big cruise ships don't leave any fuel/oil or any other funk in the surrounding water?

2) Drinking water: Years ago @ Casa Del Mar, they had big 7 gal water jugs on each floor for all the drinking water you wanted, which was great. Couldn't believe my eyes when looking at El Presidente that for $250+ a night they were going to ration you 1.5L per day, then you were on your own.... What do they do at La Ceiba??

Thanks again,
Jeff

Jeff, My wife and I stayed there in April. As for the shore diving... it was the best night dive I have ever done! Lots of critters. Take you a lock and when you rent your tanks from the little shop there you can use their lockers.
As far as the water is concerned we just bought the large bottles of water from either the store or cafe/bar. We didn't do the AI but we ate breakfast there every day and sometimes lunch but went to town every night for supper. One thing about the rooms keep your bathroom door shut and your room will stay cold. it took us a couple of days to figure that one out. Have fun and dive safe.This is the dive op we used. http://www.xtabaydivers.com/ Pepe was our dm and he was great!
Butch :scubadive

Don't worry about those cruise ships leaking mess, they operate under pretty strict international guidelines. Worry about the car ferry!! Really, no real impact on the reef, other than maybe slowing down the current a little.

Charlie99's sunset picture reminded me of another evening entertainment pasttime - watching the cruise ship people making it back (some not in time) to their ships after spending the day at Carlos N Charlies!! Ya see some funny scenes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom