Considering Hanging it up...but...what to do after scuba??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pickleball is a great community sport with minimal investment. All levels of play are welcome at any facility. Your boys would get a kick out of the sport as well. If you were an instructor, then you could even get to a level to instruct the sport to tap into your teaching skills. The downside; the scenery just isn’t the same
Nude pickle ball. Just make sure you hit the right ball and not the pickle.

See, there's a downside of diving solo. There's no one to take a pic of me doing that. I get pics of my flag being towed or the splash from topside.

We had nobody on our boat though

I would put it on a good buoy ahead of slack tide

It’s risky

EPIRB

Is there a reason you need to sell your gear? You could always keep it and use it less.
You may think this is a silly comparison, but I think the concept of limiting yourself to certain things in poetry is what makes poetry appealing to write. Perhaps purposely limiting the types of dives you do, the gear you use, the goals you set, or the experiences you hope to have could be fun. For example, maybe limiting yourself to shallow dives where your air would give you oodles of time would be exciting for a guy who has done it all in the deep end of the pool. You may even be able to commission and maintain an artificial reef, which would be a way of giving back to a hobby that gave you so much.
But, if the spark is not there, I get it. I would suggest astronomy or fossil collecting, if you have a scientific bent like I do. Both can be social activities, but can also be done alone, and can be done pretty much anywhere. You may like these links:
www.cloudynights.com
www.thefossilforum.com
Also, chess...
www.chess.com

Greetings and thank you for reading.

I have been diving for just over 17yrs, have a little over 750 dives, certified to tec deep, currently a sidemount diver, and I have a degree in marine ecology.

Diving saved my life!!

I grew up with a lot of trauma...like many others...and at 25 when I was near finishing college, had no idea what to do in life...I somehow found scuba and it changed my whole world! I LOVED IT!!

However, the dive sites in my area I have done [many over 100 times]...I do not have a boat...there are no more charters in the San Juans...and I will have to drive an hour or more each way to new sites....and with 7 and 9 yr old boys [who are not into scuba]...I just do not really feel the appeal anymore.

So, before selling all my gear [a one way street]...I am reaching out to this community to see what was it that you did AFTER giving up scuba that filled you up?

I did recently buy an inflatable fishing kayak...that, I just now while typing this thought about maybe trying to dive off of...but, with SM tanks, might be a bit of a learning curve...which...might open up new things...

Anyway, any feedback on what you did after diving that kept you sane, is much appreciated!! My best to you reading this :D
Honestly I won't sell any of my scuba gear because that's what kept me alive for all those years

Back
Top Bottom