Considering BP/W switch and need input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did discuss this earlier in the thread (beginning with post #11), so the OP is aware of it, but she will likely fit a "standard" plate. It is a good point to consider though, and can be overlooked.

There are no "Standard" plates. Who would set these standards? Every feature of every plate is at the designer. Many plates may be similar, but there are no standards.

Tobin

There are no "Standard" plates. Who would set these standards? Every feature of every plate is at the designer. Many plates may be similar, but there are no standards.

We probably could have used a better word for what I think we were talking about, however I think I know where I came to use the term "standard" (and one reason I put it in quotes is to show that it's not necessarily standard in every definition of the word).

1) Many makers of backplates seem to make only one size, which is 15"-15.5" from what I have seen. I don't suppose those manufacturers call them anything but "backplates," since they only make one size and have no need to differentiate except by material.

2) Some companies make their backplates in two sizes. The two that come to my mind immediately are Halcyon and Agir-Brokk.

a) Halcyon calls their two sizes Standard and Small.

b) Agir-Brokk calls their two sizes Standard and Short.

So I guess that is where I came up with "standard." Perhaps they mean standard as in "our more common one" as opposed to "a standard of measurement"?

3) I think your company, DSS, may be the only one to make backplates in five sizes (thank you!). I realize that you don't name any of your sizes "standard" though.

I hope that clarifies what I meant. I certainly don't want the size that I call "One Size Fits All... Men" to become the standard in anything (although I have found that to be the case, annoyingly, all too often). Whenever possible I buy from companies that make things to fit me. Of course because the item fits, but also to give my business to people who go to the "trouble" to do so.

Blue Sparkle

We probably could have used a better word for what I think we were talking about, however I think I know where I came to use the term "standard" (and one reason I put it in quotes is to show that it's not necessarily standard in every definition of the word).

1) Many makers of backplates seem to make only one size, which is 15"-15.5" from what I have seen. I don't suppose those manufacturers call them anything but "backplates," since they only make one size and have no need to differentiate except by material.

2) Some companies make their backplates in two sizes. The two that come to my mind immediately are Halcyon and Agir-Brokk.

a) Halcyon calls their two sizes Standard and Small.

b) Agir-Brokk calls their two sizes Standard and Short.

So I guess that is where I came up with "standard." Perhaps they mean standard as in "our more common one" as opposed to "a standard of measurement"?

3) I think your company, DSS, may be the only one to make backplates in five sizes (thank you!). I realize that you don't name any of your sizes "standard" though.

I hope that clarifies what I meant. I certainly don't want the size that I call "One Size Fits All... Men" to become the standard in anything (although I have found that to be the case, annoyingly, all too often). Whenever possible I buy from companies that make things to fit me. Of course because the item fits, but also to give my business to people who go to the "trouble" to do so.

Blue Sparkle

In 1906 Lionel, a new model train maker at the time, introduced a new series and intentionally named it "Standard Gauge" Why? Because parents buying kids their first train set didn't know which to get, N?, HO? etc. So they would ask for the "Standard" gauge. There was nothing standard about it, but Lionel quickly became the largest makers of toy trains...

Tobin

I didn't read all the thread so if this was said, excuse ME. I just wanted to throw this out there because I just when thru this with my wife. If your 5' 5" or less your going to want the shorter back plate. The standard one is 15.5" long and the shorter one is 13.5" long.

Thanks for making this point and the good points made in response. I am tall, 5'10", but am all leg. So I'll be sure to pay attention to length.

I'm just curious, because I take note of which brands of plates come in more than one size, and what the shorter plate heights are: Which brand of plate comes in 13.5"? I don't have that one on my list yet, apparently.

Blue Sparkle

There are no "Standard" plates. Who would set these standards?

Tobin

The two standard back plates that Dive Rite sell are 15.5 and 13.5. I think Dive Rite would set their own standards. As you would set your own. I just left out the manufacturer's name because I wasn't trying to steer the OP into buying one brand or another. :coffee:

The two standard back plates that Dive Rite sell are 15.5 and 13.5. I think Dive Rite would set their own standards. As you would set your own. I just left out the manufacturer's name because I wasn't trying to steer the OP into buying one brand or another. :coffee:

"Standard" implies an Industry Standard for example 802.11N for routers from the ieee. There are no such standards for Back Plates.

"BrandX Standard" implies a model from a given brand.

Tobin

The two back plates that Dive Rite sell are 15.5 and 13.5.

Thank you for this information. I didn't realize Dive Rite made a shorter plate. Perhaps that's new since I was shopping for mine in summer 2010 (?). One slight disappointment is that they seemingly only make it in aluminum and not stainless steel. Still, for people who (only) want a lightweight/aluminum plate, it's one to add to the list.

Blue Sparkle

As an example, take your HP100, that's maybe 7lbs negative, add 5 for the regulator and other gear, that's 12. (This is with a neutral plate/wing/harness) So you need at least 12 lbs, say 15 to be on the safe side, to float the rig; that's without any lead on the harness. Any wing will do that. If your suit takes 15 lbs of lead to sink, and the gas weighs 7lbs, that's potentially 22lbs negative you could be at maximum depth with a full tank. So in that case you'd want at least 22 lbs lift, although its a little deceptive because probably your suit would not lose ALL its buoyancy at recreational depths, and you won't have a completely full tank by the time you got to real depth.

sorry to jump in here.. hope this is in line with the thread but was searching for similar answers and came over this. Right now i'm mainly diving warm water, in a rash guard with 3lbs of weight on and that seems to be about perfect for me (5'9", 135lb for what its worth). so i basically am looking for a wing that can give me at least 18lbs of lift and beyond that the extra lift is unnecessary unless i'm adding stuff to my rig? just trying to see if i'm following this correctly. Looking in to getting a bp/w myself so needing to work this out. Was hoping i could find something that would work in the very rare times i might be cold water diving too, but not sure if that's gonna happen..

sorry to jump in here.. hope this is in line with the thread but was searching for similar answers and came over this. Right now i'm mainly diving warm water, in a rash guard with 3lbs of weight on and that seems to be about perfect for me (5'9", 135lb for what its worth). so i basically am looking for a wing that can give me at least 18lbs of lift and beyond that the extra lift is unnecessary unless i'm adding stuff to my rig? just trying to see if i'm following this correctly. Looking in to getting a bp/w myself so needing to work this out. Was hoping i could find something that would work in the very rare times i might be cold water diving too, but not sure if that's gonna happen..

The solution to being over weighted is never a larger wing, the solution is to change gear components to correct the over weighting. If you "add stuff" to your rig so that you have more total blast than necessary to hold a shallow stop with near empty tank(s) you are over weighted.

If you want "one" wing for cold water and warm water diving it needs to be sized based on the buoyancy of your cold water exposure suit.

Remember divers us BC's to so they can compensate for the change in buoyancy of their exposure suits, thin suit = small wing, thick suit = bigger wing.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom