Considering a Rebreather....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because its only 1 unit. You got nothing to compare to anyway.

But that's one more than zero units, which is what most people have trained on when they get their first rebreather. It's not a matter of comparing units, it's a matter of understanding what questions you should even be asking when comparing units.

So much bloody handwringing over something so simple.

What's the handwringing? All I'm saying is that if the rental costs ($600 for me) and time aren't limiting factors in the whole project, a certified rebreather diver is in a better position to chose and buy their first rebreather than someone who isn't certified. Doesn't seem that controversial, I still don't see what the downside is of being trained?

(Whatever you do, stay away from an Explorer :poke:)

(Whatever you do, stay away from an Explorer :poke:)
Don't be hating because it's the #1 selling unit. Hollis saw the market and they went after and it's paid dividends. For what the OP is trained/looking for, it fits the bill perfectly. If the OP isn't looking to do 100m dives in the next 3-5 years, why spend top dollar for today's technology vs. spending 3k and learning what the next unit should offer?

I pretty quickly noticed and asked about the limitations on my breathing because of the counterlung volume.
This is where a try dive might mislead you. Each rebreather has a sweet spot in regards to minimum loop volume for it's counter lungs. Each has a sweet spot dependent on your trim as well. It's hard to find those sweet spots in a half hour or even 4. I found the one on the SF2 quickly, but there was at least one person who never did get it. Find that sweet spot and it's sheer magic. Don't find it and you'll be fighting the rebreather rather than enjoying it.

What suit do you dive in? My JJ is pretty heavy and in a thin suit you have to put an Ali backplate on it to avoid being completely negative.

I considered the inspiration and the JJ. I eliminated the inspiration because of the nasty display on the handset, now fixed, and the plastic box. Also the JJ is more 'normal' if you are used to a typical BP/W setup. If diving a drysuit as I do normally, the heaviness helps. In the end I just liked the look of the JJ more. It was important that the instructor I wanted to use could teach on the JJ (I had to wait for that), it might have been a deal breaker.

I think that the SCRs are pointless.

I don't really exploit my JJ. I could do the same dives OC. However, it is nice having essentially infinite gas and being self sufficient always. Creeping up on the wildlife is a revelation too. For me it is a toy.

If you can afford the time I suggest doing the training before buying, then you will be more (if not completely) informed about the pros and cons,

Downsides of the JJ:

I am fed up with the harness. If I get on with the single piece one on my Warm water plate plate next week it will be going.

The ADV is too easy to set off, especially when head down. On the other hand it helps for dil flushes.

Upsides:

More solid than a solid thing. Made from a big lump of aluminium. Do not drop it on your toes.
Simple to understand, take to bits and put back together.
Time out well without resorting to cable tying lead to the top.
Nice display on the computer.
Proper stand. Means it fits your back sitting on a bench in a boat.

The availability of a BOV, temperature stick and a co2 monitor on the Inspiration really pushed me towards it. However when I dived one I found the temperature stick was a bit disappointing. The co2 monitor was having troubles and I decided I could live without a BOV for the short term. I may get a Shrimp or a Prism one eventually.

CE was a must for me. I don't trust the testing outside of a formal system. It may not be perfect but it is better than the opinion of the bloke who built the thing,

The ADV is too easy to set off,
My SF2 as well. I turn it off when shallow. It's fine when I'm deep.
Proper stand.
This has been a bother on my SF2. I simply made a booster seat for it.
The availability of a BOV,
This is almost a universal issue. BOVs should be available if not a standard. I went with Cooper hoses when I added my Shrimp. That was a good move as far as I'm concerned. :D

What suit do you dive in? My JJ is pretty heavy and in a thin suit you have to put an Ali backplate on it to avoid being completely negative.

I considered the inspiration and the JJ. I eliminated the inspiration because of the nasty display on the handset, now fixed, and the plastic box. Also the JJ is more 'normal' if you are used to a typical BP/W setup. If diving a drysuit as I do normally, the heaviness helps. In the end I just liked the look of the JJ more. It was important that the instructor I wanted to use could teach on the JJ (I had to wait for that), it might have been a deal breaker....

Great post, these are pretty much all of my thoughts as well! I'm about to order the JJ, it's good having the weight in the northeast, I guess I'll have to look into an aluminum plate if I take it to the tropics. Right now, I'm using two steel plates. I actually liked the harness more than I thought I would, easy to hit the rings and the little adjustable straps aren't as dangly as I thought they might be.

My instructor doesn't like BOVs, and I don't think that I do either. Something about having a totally independent system for bailout makes me feel more comfortable. Was on a dive with a CCR buddy earlier this year and the mouthpiece came off. It was pretty easy to switch to the OC reg, even the time during training where I had a bit of a panic situation (leaky mask, was waterboarding myself!).

The main issue I have heard people bring up about not using a BOV is getting off the loop with a CO2 hit. Mostly this is from divers who got hit and used a BOV.

Something about having a totally independent system for bailout makes me feel more comfortable.
I have both.
I have both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom