Considering a Rebreather....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't need to do this, the T pieces (where the breathing hoses meet the counterlungs) are more or less by my ears, so do not have to reach far to get the loop back.

There is no standard BOV for my JJ. I would probably prefer to have one. When more confident about messing with it I may fit one. I asked Jan at a show it they are likely to redo theirs with CE. I was told to take care packing my scrubber and avoid over exertion.

I see the OCB as an advantage of the inspiration, but still decided on a JJ. On the inspiration I think there is an o ring which you remove when filling it which you can forget to replace and allow bypass. The JJ goes not. Still, I could get hair or rubbish in the wrong place to the same effect, or swim too hard, or fail to change the sorb.

To have a BOV or not is a contentious subject.

The JJ does have a scrubber oring. The Golem Gear/Halcyon BOV fits the JJ nicely but isn't CE, but I live in the states and could care less about CE.

Last edited:
Neither my Meg nor my Pelagian require me to do any funky acrobatics to get back on the loop. I don't let it float away when I bail to a 2nd stage, it just hangs under my chin. It doesn't go anywhere, and it's not like it's in the way. I can grab it just like its a bungee'd secondary.

A quick check of youtube shows many different bailout procedures, most of them ridiculously overcomplicated, but in the quick glance I saw, none of them had the loop over their head or really anything else that would require you to break trim just to grab the loop. Is this an SF2 thing?

The JJ does have a scrubber oring. The Golem Gear/Halcyon BOV fits the JJ nicely but isn't CE, but I live in the states and could care less about CE.
Of course there is an oring, but it doesn't have to come off when replacing the lime. I am not an expert on the inspiration, I am just remembering from a try dive a while ago and watching people on courses when doing refreshers.

I do not care about CE for regulatory reasons, but because the combination has not been rigorously tested. I would have no idea about the impact on the whole system. CC WOB and OC performance would be unknowns.

There is a balance of risk, on the one hand the likelyhood of being saved from co2 hit, there is still the question of having enough bailout, and on the other messing with a complicated machine.

So, if the OP thinks that the co2 hit is a big risk, I suggest buying a machine with one available as standard. Another advantage is that if you are doing no stop dives having the BOV run from dil is a possibility. That then saves carrying an extra cylinder.

It occurs to me that the OP is a BSAC diver. They have loaner fully loaded Inspirations, they can be borrowed for the cost of shipping for training purposes. Dubai I don't know about, but if you are ever back in the UK you could probably do mod1 with very little cost.

It occurs to me that the OP is a BSAC diver. They have loaner fully loaded Inspirations, they can be borrowed for the cost of shipping for training purposes. Dubai I don't know about, but if you are ever back in the UK you could probably do mod1 with very little cost.

I understand that I can get to borrow an Inspiration here, to try and possibly to carry out my MOD 1 while I wait for my unit to be delivered (if I go that route)

I may be a BASC diver, but I'm way too acclimatised to the Dubai temperatures. Diving in the UK? Are you mad? I consider anything less that 22 C (70F) to be ice diving, and am proud to be a BSAC diver never have to have dived Stony Cove :zap1:

Is this an SF2 thing?
It's probably just an arthritis thing. I don't have a full range of motion in either shoulder. It's not like I'm doing a backwards somersault and the Cooper hoses do make this easier.

I understand that I can get to borrow an Inspiration here, to try and possibly to carry out my MOD 1 while I wait for my unit to be delivered (if I go that route)

I may be a BASC diver, but I'm way too acclimatised to the Dubai temperatures. Diving in the UK? Are you mad? I consider anything less that 22 C (70F) to be ice diving, and am proud to be a BSAC diver never have to have dived Stony Cove :zap1:

I have never dived Stoney Cove either :wink:

An extra data point today. I was diving a 5/6 mm suit plus apeks shorts in water which was between 17 and 26c, using steel cylinders and an Ali 7 bailout but with the lightest possible dog bone aliminium back plate. I was still slightly negative. I would have been quite negative in a 3mm suit.

Aluminium cylinders might help.

That's good info Ken.

I've seen that some of teh guys have a float on thier rigs.

I dive a 15l Steel faber, with a 3mm (yes all the way to 31 - because I'm a big girls blouse), I have no plate on my wing and put the foam pad on which is supposed to be neutral but isn't and I'm good, If I chuck an Al 80 on the side as a stage I'm still fine. It's only when I move to my DS when the temps drop to 23-24C that I need some weight.

Of course I'm used to and practiced with fine breath control, which clearly isn't going to work on a RB (I wonder how long it takes to get into the habit of adding air to the BC and not breathing in/out?)

But I'll take on board your points. I'm still 50/50 at the moment

The funniest moment in RB diving? On your first descent when you approach the bottom in free fall and take a deeeeeep breath to stop in the hover like a dive god. The only thing that changes is the expression on your face as you make a crater.

Always a joy especially when the OW guys on the boat have been admiring your tech kit and obvious skills.

The buoyancy takes a bit to get used to but it becomes routine pretty quick. For me 3 dives, for a normal person probably 2. Or less.

I didn't have much of a learning curve with my buoyancy, But then I don't plummet to the bottom. I tend to ease on down, so no crater for me... yet. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom