Considering a March trip to Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I shouldn't admonish....I did that too. Got certified while on spring break so closed the bars at four, after bars til 0700, then OW class at 0900. Hmmmm....glad I'm still alive to tell about it.

midwestdvr:
Actually, I shouldn't admonish....I did that too. Got certified while on spring break so closed the bars at four, after bars til 0700, then OW class at 0900. Hmmmm....glad I'm still alive to tell about it.

youd fit in the ppd quite fine:)

midwestdvr:
ditto on what spoon said!

besides, they didn't enforce a seatbelt law here till last year and even then car accident deaths per capita were less than US numbers...

so maybe the whole alcohol-dive thing works differently here to? hmmmm... must consult with PG based divers...

Jag

Spoon:
this may sound kinda weird but it was john bennet and his stories that got me into tech diving. sad but true.

I was doing my advanced nitrox with Dave Ross and Sam Collett and was bothering them with a whole load of trimix-related questions to do with physiological side effects etc., when this soft-spoken English guy asked if he could join the conversation.

We chatted for a while, Dave and Sam obviously respected his opinions, and I respect theirs, so I listened avidly. It became clear that he was talking about cutting edge stuff and from personal experience.

After I while I said something along the lines of: -

"I guess this sounds stupid, but I take it you've done a lot of trimix, then?"

His reply: -

"Yeah, I'm an instructor, but I can't really tell you much more than Dave or Sam, it was just that I experienced what you were talking about just the other day."

He finished his beer, I thanked him for sharing his experiences and shook his hand and he wandered off home.

Only found out about who and what he was the next day. I was lucky enough to talk to him quite a few more times afterwards.

I really believe he did the things he did to fulfill an inner need that he couldn't really explain, or felt any need to explain to others who mostly couldn't understand.

Either way, if you were interested, he was happy to talk, but I noticed that he never tried to push his opinions on people. He was also very patient with the few people who tried to make a fuss about his records. As I say, nice guy all round.

shugar:
so maybe the whole alcohol-dive thing works differently here to? hmmmm... must consult with PG based divers...

Jag

i know of one that has a hydration system filled with kentucky moonshine

thepurplehammerhead:
I was doing my advanced nitrox with Dave Ross and Sam Collett and was bothering them with a whole load of trimix-related questions to do with physiological side effects etc., when this soft-spoken English guy asked if he could join the conversation.

We chatted for a while, Dave and Sam obviously respected his opinions, and I respect theirs, so I listened avidly. It became clear that he was talking about cutting edge stuff and from personal experience.

After I while I said something along the lines of: -

"I guess this sounds stupid, but I take it you've done a lot of trimix, then?"

His reply: -

"Yeah, I'm an instructor, but I can't really tell you much more than Dave or Sam, it was just that I experienced what you were talking about just the other day."

He finished his beer, I thanked him for sharing his experiences and shook his hand and he wandered off home.

Only found out about who and what he was the next day. I was lucky enough to talk to him quite a few more times afterwards.

I really believe he did the things he did to fulfill an inner need that he couldn't really explain, or felt any need to explain to others who mostly couldn't understand.

Either way, if you were interested, he was happy to talk, but I noticed that he never tried to push his opinions on people. He was also very patient with the few people who tried to make a fuss about his records. As I say, nice guy all round.

thats a real cool story. i respect guys who dont preach and let their diving do the talking.

Spoon:
i know of one that has a hydration system filled with kentucky moonshine
he probably uses it to keep warm underwater... it's a very valid use of that particular fluid

Jag

shugar:
he probably uses it to keep warm underwater... it's a very valid use of that particular fluid

Jag

could be but that wouldnt explain why he was acting narced at 10fsw

Back
Top Bottom