Considering a EOS 60D - Should I get it and with what lense as my "go-to" lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was checking a photography site and came across someone selling a used sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC macro for ~$135, so I might grab that for a start.
If I grab that now I have freed a bit of money for later as well as saved a few bucks, provided the lens is in proper condition :)

That looks like the older spec lens. The latest is 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS HSM.

That looks like the older spec lens. The latest is 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS HSM.
Thats why Im contacting the seller - and if it IS the non-HSM lens that actually make it more versatile with regards to housing though..

Thats why Im contacting the seller - and if it IS the non-HSM lens that actually make it more versatile with regards to housing though..
Check again what LiteWeight said. Selecting housing think ahead what lenses you would want to have in the future, not just the first lens.

I do, but the difference in diameter between the HSM and non-HSM 17-70 makes the non-HSM fit more housings (like the ikelite, which seems easiest to get around here - but their ports seem kinda limited with regards to hsm and usm lenses, especially f/2.8 ones).
I will want a purely macro lense at some point and I do need to keep the option open for a pure wide angle although its not currently a priority.

Spending the kind of money you do on dslr housings they better last quite a few thousand shots and not fall short after a year..

There is more than camera and lenses to consider, when selecting a housing – lighting system. That’s probably is a rebel part of your nature that makes you ignoring what other people say :) (please forgive me being personal on the public forum). The first time you use a strobe underwater will be like “wow...” and then “...why did I waste time without the strobe...”.
Plan ahead what strobes are you going to add to your setup and how are you going to control them.
With Ikelite housing you will have to use electrical cables to control strobes. That makes the housing slightly smaller because there is no need to pop up the camera flash in the housing, but electrical cables are bulkier, more expensive and require more maintenance. There is an additional risk of flooding either a camera or a strobe. You likely will be using Ikelite strobes. Ikelite is a reputable strobe vendor, and I dove with people who were completely satisfied with their Ikelite strobes.
Another option (not available with the Ikelite housing) is to use fiber cables to control strobes. That option becomes more popular: less expensive, minimal maintenance and no additional o-rings. There are strobes capable of accurately reproducing the camera flash and pre-flash. You are not loosing camera’s TTL flash control capability. In fact it works pretty well, and flash exposure compensation is right under your right thumb using 60D’s quick control button and quick control dial.
Some more info to confuse you. :)
Strobe battery. There are strobes using standard AA batteries and strobes with built-in batteries. Built-in battery is convenient, requires less maintenance and reduces chances of flooding the strobe, you do not have to open the strobe battery compartment to replace batteries, just plug it in to the charger. However, the battery is typically the first thing to fail. Replacing the built-in battery is more hassle and more expensive operation.

Fiber cables would have been the option for my current setup (other than the flash and diffuser, which Ive mainly been using on night dives).
It would be HANDY to have both options, but not neccesarilly a requirement.

I do like the more compact look of the sea and sea housings, but their selection seems pretty limited.
Theres also nauticam to have a look at.
With the limited selection of housings being held in stores/webshops thats an option to shop from and the variations in price from one model to another make comparing prices horrible. It does however seem like sea and sea is a bit more expensive than ikelite, but thats almost as far as Ive gotten into untangling the what and where to get on housings..
Fortunately I dont have a 2-day timeframe to get it all bought and set up. As long as I can have things sorted for next april/may or sometime like that I should be fine for my next proper dive trip :p

I know someone at my "Local" DS bought some housings this spring and Ill definetly check with them from where and what brands they sold there.

With regards to strobe batteriers I HAVE been thinking exactly what youre mentioning - that built in is handy but hard to replace.
Question is how much shots can one expect to get out of a charge on AA vs built in and whats the expected lifespan of either ones.
AA might be easilly replaced when they die, but theire far from free either. Of course, if you should forget the charger or whatever there IS a backup solution with AA batteries in your nearest supermarket..

I think I just got an offer I cant pass up..

As good as new Ikelite 7D housing with ports for 12-24mm, 17-40mm, and 100mm macro for the price of..
Just short of 1100 USD - which even if I dont use the ports is a saving of the price difference between the 60D and the 7D :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom