Considering a EOS 60D - Should I get it and with what lense as my "go-to" lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have many more though (as seen by the numbers) and the higher the numbers goes the more its getting macro oriented (and imo better..)

Well, you have been provided plenty of opinions and suggestions, and probably have already decided for yourself. One last thing from me. If macro is what you like more, then consider what smellzlikefish suggested. Check EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM.
Good luck! :)

I have not decided (other than on the camera brand), but I dont want to be TOO gimped should something big swim past either.

What Im afraid of with something like a 100mm macro is that it might make shots like the manta, shark and napoleon close to impossible to get?
I quite honestly dont know why Im a bit scared of the concept of no zoom given the fact that for most of my shots I dont use it in the first place..

What Im afraid of with something like a 100mm macro is that it might make shots like the manta, shark and napoleon close to impossible to get?
That's true.
17-70 is what you should start with. It will be a compromise at both zoom ends, but you may like it anyway because of the mid-zoom range.

Ill have to look more into the entire system anyways, but Ive pretty much ruled out the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8.
Ill definetly look more into the 17-70 and fixed macro lenses but maybe not as much as 100mm. 70mm maybe?

Good luck with your camera/housing/strobe search. I have a T2i with the Tokina 10-17 and a Canon 60mm lenses. As you are doing, take the advice of the more experienced u/w photographers that frequent these boards. Thank you guys for your help.

For housings, please do your research as I have been burned $$$$ by buying the wrong housing. Just think of this: once you commit to a housing and the ports, extension rings, and domes, you can't get away from it. You can't just switch housings and use the extension rings and domes from another name brand. Yes, there are adapters but I don't like the extra gear. I'm just gonna have to eat my mistake.

I was checking a photography site and came across someone selling a used sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC macro for ~$135, so I might grab that for a start.
If I grab that now I have freed a bit of money for later as well as saved a few bucks, provided the lens is in proper condition :)

I will say that for your Napoleon Wrasse and zebra shark shots, a 60 or 70 mm would have tightened down on the subject while getting rid off a lot of the negative space. Prime lenses make you think differently about shooting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom