Considering a EOS 60D - Should I get it and with what lense as my "go-to" lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow I am shocked, especially about the 17-55 which is a standard kit zoom lens for Canon cameras. For the Sea and Sea RDX 600D the flat port works quite well with the 18-55 kit lens. I also own a 50mm normal lens but haven't tried it in the port to see if there is any vignetting...I don't imagine there would be but one never knows.

Take a look at Sea and Sea. They have a wonderful number of flat ports and domes to accommodate a variety of lenses. They make housings for the T3i and 60D if I am not mistaken. I can't find the link with the chart in my bookmarks but I am sure it is probably easily found on Sea and Sea's page and is comparably priced to the Ikelite.

I would still say stick with the T3i over the 60D, the price difference is just to significant and the differences to miniscule to justify the added money. Some people to do it to avoid the stigma of having a Rebel camera but the camera is just a tool and all things considered equal (as they are between the 60D and T3i) the quality of the image comes down to the shooter's skill.

Ok, so after about 4000 pictures Im starting to feel that Im getting what there is to get out of my belowed old CHDK powered G7 and Im considering getting an upgrade.
And lets be honest, I kinda just WANT one too - new gadgets and all that :p

Whats definitely not happening is me getting a 1100D or the 5D/6D/7D cameras - The 1100D is too "cheap and simple" and the 5D/7D options are from a bit to way on the expensive side.

That leave me with the 600D, 650D and 60D as thats pretty much their DSLR range and Im kinda thinking the 60D might be the way to go.
The housing is going to cost me about the same eyeball for all 3 of them, so thats not part of my decision making process.

Now, what could push me in one way or the other is the fact that the 60D housing is quite a lot more expensive than the other two - you get the 600D/650D with a (cheap) lens for the price of only the 60D housing.
Is there any good reason NOT to get the 60D over the other two? Is the extra cost of the 60D "worth it"? It seems to me it would be, but I could be mistaken.

Now of course after getting the housing you also need optics and that is, lets face it, going to cost a lot of money as well, but thats fine.
I AM however planning to do build this camera system in "stages" and would like to find one good lens that I can use as a "multipurpose lens" and rather get more lenses at a later point and it would be good if this lens could be used atleast as well as my G7 could without strobes - which is another expensive addition that will come, but not immediately.

So that brings up the question what focal lengths and f/ would be adequate for a lens for that kinda use?
The G7 has an equivalent of 35-210mm (or so the specs claim) which Im fairly confident with and the equivalent for a 60D with a crop factor of 1.6 should be something like a 22-130mm lens (as IF) so Im thinking something like a 24-70mm lens, like the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8?
I can find those for about the same cost or slightly above that of the 60D housing, which is quite fine.
As far as Ive gathered a lens like that should be using a flat port rather than a dome port.

So does this sound like a sane plan for a start?
EOS 60D with a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens and a housing with a flat port?
I know you can NOT use internal flash with DSLR and most (atleast affordable) housings so strobes will be needed for low-light conditions (and better for all), but that will come as the next thing and then more lens options.

P.S. What F/ would be "not good enough" 4.0? would 5.6 suffice or would that be a disaster?

My take is that you will be profoundly unhappy with the 24-70. For my money, I would get the Tokina 10-17 and a small dome port for the WA dives and the 60 macro for the macro dives and a flat port for that. Get a single strobe (there are many to choose from) and you are good to go.
Trying to turn the 60D into an all purpose P&S defeats the advantages (IQ for a big one) of the 60D.
Bill

---------- Post Merged at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:31 PM ----------

The IKE port opening is pretty ancient and with newer fatter lenses coming along I think this will happen more and more.
Bill

Im not trying to turn it into all-purpose, but standard to macro rather than extreme to moderate W/A or fixed macro - FOR A START.
Im getting more lenses later but if youre paying 1k a pop for them (plus the ports) it would be handy to start off with one that can get atleast a near-standard angle of view for "overview" shots as well as macro.

In that case, if you want to sacrifice a bit on the macro end, try the Sigma 17-70 if it will fit in the port.

Bill

It will and it wont - If I can get hold of the 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro instead of the newer HSM or OS HSM ones it will..
Same goes with the
18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro, theres a HSM version of that as well which also wont fit.

je76 a $1k kit lense? I seriously doubt that.. The 17-55mm f/2.8 is an IS USM lens wich sells for over 1k USD..
Theres other 17-55mm lenses out there I guess that would fit in as a kit lens a lot better..

Hi Tigerman, Your typical kit lens is for many Canon cameras is the 18-55 which is what I thought you were referring to. My bad.

That being said the 17-55 is circa 4.4 inches and the kit lens is about 3 inches but extends when zoomed. I assume that inch is putting you over the top for Ikelite. Contact Sea and Sea (here is their system chart for Rebel cameras http://www.seaandsea.jp/file_master/systemchart/000012_1.pdf) and I bet that the 17-55 lens will fit in their flat port (i.e. I am not sure there is any extension when the lens is zoomed in or out).

The kit lense does fit, but its.. ummm.. less than brilliant?
Im not sure if sea and sea just makes very few housings or if they dont put them all on their website, but I cant see one for the 60D there.
Im planning to contact both sea and sea and ikelite with regards to a couple of lens options anyways, so well see.
The 17-40mm might be an option..

I would vote for the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM. That’s what I got as the first lens for my 60D in the Nauticam housing. That lens is pretty versatile, sharp and suitable for anything from 2-3 inches to 4-6 feet. Check my photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sre...sRgCJfakNapq97f2gE&invite=COq4zLoC&feat=email
They all were taken with Canon 60D and Sigma 17-70. Ignore those saying that T3i may be better choice. I have a little doubt that it is a good camera (quite similar to 60D), but having 2 dial buttons is a huge advantage, especially underwater – you will be shooting manual.

I am actually surprised that you say: “... so strobes will be needed for low-light conditions (and better for all), but that will come as the next thing ...”.
No!!! Strobes are necessary from the day one, in my opinion. Otherwise you are likely end up disappointed big time. You should know that after taking 4000 pictures. Focus light is good to have as well.

I agree that strobes makes things better, but most of my pictures are shot without anything but natural light (most of them are shot in pretty clear, tropical waters) and Id rather get familiar with the camera first and add the strobes after than messing about with both at the same time..

And thank you VERY much on some very useable advise. I will definetly check out nauticam and the 17-70 lens :)

Last edited:
Please forgive my arrogance, but have you considered “messing around” with strobes first...? :surprised
I bet you will see big improvements right away with your current camera. From my experience, a pair of Sea&Sea YS-100a that I had with my previous P&S setup cost me more than the P&S camera and housing all together. I successfully moved them over to the DSLR setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom