Considering a dry suit? What the heck . . . . (Lessons Learned)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
. . . . are all those terms and things one keeps hearing?

I have been struggling with a dry suit for quite some time --- in the vernacular, I'm a skinny sh** and haven't had one dry dive, yet. However, I thought I would share some of the lessons learned if you are considering one . .

First, Read! Read! Read! Read! Read! Read!

Read here, read other forums, decide the environment you want to dive and read and ask questions of those in that environment.

Second, DON'T fall in love with looks. I really liked one drysuit, but the more I read about problems with it leaking and its fit, the lower on the list it went.

Third, don't compromise. I have a friend that bought two drysuits, used, and they were 'almost right' . . . he now has a new Bare NexGen. Get what you want, that fits, and if you can, rent it or try it and dive. Compromises just irritate the holy bajeezus out of you. The right drysuit is a joy to dive . . . like a car. You're happy every time you get in it.

The suit that works best for you is the best suit out there. Everyone that has a suit that works best for them will tell you it is the best suit out there.

Tendons: wrist seal leaks. What? Have some crappy video . . . (faster going to the site) This is why some wrist seals leak. I sure hope someone is wrong that I will never stop the seep. <sigh>
Wrist Seals and such

Now, my wrist seals did not not work because of the tendons. However, I bought some bio seals (they still seep) and then found the right size rubber band, 1/4" width. It's the rubber bands, folks. I can handle damp; it's the stream of water that was a PITA.

Neck seal. The silicone was supposed to be the be-all, end-all . . . Um, no, not for the skinny guy. It just isn't tight enough.
Neck Seals and such Silicone

What is this silicone versus latex? Well, latex chafes your neck and you look like you've been in a hangman's noose. Not pretty for vacations or any other time. The bio seals stuff is very soft, not at all tight, and should protect your neck. I like it, and will be wearing it. There is some oils in the bio seal, so make sure you thoroughly clean your suit seals and then condition them (baby power or whatever) for storage. As for silicone versus latex -- I don't find them particularly delicate, but suspect that once torn, they will 'go further'.

This video shows the bio seal and the "OMG, the latex seal that should work"! Of course, now I have to go through the cutting thing . . . . :fear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9V58lzpVSo

Hope this helps someone.

That's a bummer man.... ah.... I mean skinny sheila. (did I mess up the vernacular)

Must be lucky, I don't get a rash from latex seals. Apart from a small amount of condensation I finish every dive dry. Well, every dry suit dive that is.

Oh yeah, there was the time the seals turned to sludge. That was a very wet dive, .... hope that doesn't happen again. I was cleaning black sludgy stuff off my neck & wrists for days, & walking up a boats ladder with a suit full a water is fun too. :blush:

Reactions: Jax
Jax, I had given up on wrist seals, and made myself some elastic bands to put over the seals for Mexico, where I don't wear dry gloves, and do need to use my hands.

But on my last trip there, when the zipper on my suit failed, I dove Danny Riordan's backup suit. He put his last set of ZipSeals on it, including the wrist seals. The DUI ZipSeals are closed cones -- which means you can cut them AS SMALL AS YOU WANT! Danny cut the wrists ridiculously tiny, and . . . they FIT! They didn't leak one single drop in a whole week, even when I was running line. It was an education -- if the seals are properly sized, they won't leak, even with tiny wrists and huge tendons.

I was very disappointed to discover the silicone neck seals don't fit hobbits . . . as my OW instructor called us small women divers. But I've been informed that small size seals should be available from SiTech by the end of this year, and if so, I'll try them again.

Reactions: Jax
I guess I'm just the lucky one.
I found a high quality used drysuit with latex seals in new condition that fit me properly.
Leaking hasn't been an issue. While going through checkout in the pool I was so overheated that it was hard to tell that the seals were working when I got out of the suit I was soaked but not enough water to pour out of the suit. I did need to trim the neck seal to size for my 18" neck so I didn't pass out. OK so to be honest I needed to go through multiple pool sessions to find my weighting with a mulitple undergarment combinations. Upon finally getting to dive with the suit it took a bit to adjust to the buoyancy control using the suit but once that was under control the thing I noticed most was the amount of extra exertion compared to diving wet. In cold water I was warm but not overheated and after a number of dives with the drysuit I have stayed dry each time.

So do I love my drysuit like so many other divers?
I love being able to dive in water so cold I would have either opted out of or cut short my dive. I will however still opt to dive wet under conditions that I can comfortably. In fact I just purchased another wetsuit that should keep me warmer than the 7-6-5 Superstretch it is replacing. This time a Pinnacle 7mm Element merino lined with control seals on the wrists and ankles and a semidry zipper. This is a much better made wetsuit than I was using previously and instead of relying on stretch characteristics is sized and cut to fit me well. I'd much rather dive wet when conditions allow it just feels right.

New drysuit diver here....

Only 4 cold water dives but so far no latex allergies and no leaks :D

Good thing.....cause with the 5 ft vis, buouancy and trim issues, and boats using our dive flags as targets, I had more then enough task loading to keep me occupied.

aftersale service is very imprtant

aftersale service is very imprtant

Oh, I have to agree with this!!!!

Mike Pederson and Dive Right In Scuba have been absolutely the most wonderful, stupendous, accommodating, and cooperative folks in the world!!!!! :yeahbaby:

Mike came up with so many alternatives, working with me on the installs, etc., and all at a very reasonable cost. He's even offered to ship me about half a cow . . . No, I'm not going to fatten up just to dive dry! Well. . . . okay, I'm just not that desperate yet! :D

Hey Jax, good luck with the wrist seals...TSandM may have a good point there, but I didn't see you don the wrist seals, and couldn't tell how difficult it was to pull them over. Mine are very tight, and need K-Y to don without risk of tearing the seals.

However, in the video of your neck seal, it looked to me like you need to pull the seal down a bit lower on your neck. I thought it was riding too high. I have a fairly prominent adam's apple, and some very prominent tendons in my neck...one of which is very much so due to a surgical procedure I had some years ago, and the lower on my neck, the better seal I get.

Good luck!

Aftermarket service IS important (and I second Jax's opinion of Mike; he'll bend over backwards to make everything right for you), but I also think anyone who is going to own a dry suit and dive regularly needs to learn how to find and fix leaks and replace at least wrist seals for themselves. Sending suits in for repairs gets old (and expensive) very fast!

(You know, having said that -- and I still hold by it -- made me realize that, in the life of my Fusion, which is 3 1/2 years and over 400 dives, I have fixed two tiny pinhole leaks and one great big tear that I did falling off a boat. The suit has been amazingly dry and reliable.)

Hey Jax, good luck with the wrist seals...TSandM may have a good point there, but I didn't see you don the wrist seals, and couldn't tell how difficult it was to pull them over. Mine are very tight, and need K-Y to don without risk of tearing the seals.

However, in the video of your neck seal, it looked to me like you need to pull the seal down a bit lower on your neck. I thought it was riding too high. I have a fairly prominent adam's apple, and some very prominent tendons in my neck...one of which is very much so due to a surgical procedure I had some years ago, and the lower on my neck, the better seal I get.

Good luck!

Thanks :Kissy: I appreciate it, but really, they are just too big. Or I'm too small. I can't blame it on the seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom