Consideration for first set of doubles regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contact Tracy Click at Below the Grade Scuba in Michigan. He is the only one I send students to for steel cylinders. I would be shocked if he didn't have a dozen or more sets of used doubles on hand of various sizes. HP100s are likely since they are common and a some of us don't like HP cylinders because it's easier to get good fills in LPs.

Tracy told me about a month ago all he’s been able to get this year are AL80s and steel 72s.

$1500 for a set of doubles is much higher than I would ever spend. Even new, a set of HP100s should be around $700, maybe $150 for a manifold and $100 for bands. Check places like DGX and dive rite in scuba, I bet you can get a brand new set for under $1000. Of course, buying this stuff used makes the most sense by far. Used twinsets are all over the place, sometimes shipping is a pain, but it's worth it. Many divers have switched to sidemount in the last several years, so you'll have no problem at all finding used bands and a manifold. I still have a pair of 7" bands laying around that are gathering dust in a closet. If you go for LP85s, you can buy mine for $50 plus shipping.

I wouldn't go any bigger than the HP100s for your first set of doubles, unless you're a linebacker or a pack mule. Even if you eventually need bigger tanks on a twinset, you'll always get use out of a couple of HP100s.
HP100 doubles at dive right in scuba go for $1200. even two years ago they were going for over $1000. even DGX is just over $1000 for HP100 doubles.

Tracy told me about a month ago all he’s been able to get this year are AL80s and steel 72s.
He's got a set of Norris HP doubles currently - silly me I've never even heard of that manufacturer but I'll definitely be getting more info from him to see if it's a good fit.

LP85 work fine if you are in Florida where you can get cave fills on them. Outside Florida, HPs are what you want because shops will just fill to the rated pressure (hopefully, not a short fill). So HP100s.

The thing about finding a cylinder you want, when you are looking there is never a deal to be had. You might find something close, out of hydro, etc. By the time you get it, go through hydro, pay shipping, you are tickling the price of buying new. Once you buy them, you will find smoking deals all over the place.

DGX has HP100s in stock. Just speced out a package and it was $1029. Up a few hundred from a few years back.

Yoke connections do work fine. But in this case the OP is specifically looking for technical diving advice, and that means DIN. Practically every set of manifolded doubles in existence is outfitted with DIN valves.
The OP also said it was a plus to be able to use these regs with sidemount, and for that, a turret is a big advantage.
Obviously it’s up to the op to use what he wished but I use yoke on my doubles and side mount, once the hoses are set up there’s no use for the turret. I find the yoke knob is actually handy when side mount to snug up the tanks occasionally by shifting the bungee. Nearly all tanks will take a yoke valve but some won’t take din. For me rec and tech are just words and have no influence on my diving. All my dives are planned or potentially deco and solo dives.

Obviously it’s up to the op to use what he wished but I use yoke on my doubles and side mount, once the hoses are set up there’s no use for the turret. I find the yoke knob is actually handy when side mount to snug up the tanks occasionally by shifting the bungee. Nearly all tanks will take a yoke valve but some won’t take din. For me rec and tech are just words and have no influence on my diving. All my dives are planned or potentially deco and solo dives.

I've never heard anyone defend yoke as much as you have. You do your own thing but stop pretending like they are superior.

I am a machinist by trade and I will take a threaded connection over a clamp ANY day of the week. It's a superior connection...period.

If your tank has a 3/4in NPS thread which nearly ALL scuba tanks do, it will take either a Yoke valve or DIN valve just fine. If it is 7/8in UNF threaded (old HP PST tanks for example), you can still get DIN valves but will only find 300 bar DIN valves instead of the more popular 200 bar.

I have never seen or heard a DIN fitting cross thread. It has a very large G5/8 thread, so I don't think it is even possible to do more than 1/4 of a turn. As far as regulators go, I personally have 9 sets of Scubapro MK20 (DIN of course) with either D400 or G250 seconds. You can find those on ebay dirt cheap (at least here in Europe for around of less than 100 euros) so you will have some very reliable regs and won't break the bank either. Hose routing of the MK20 for a double is very nice and with the swivel turret they make a perfect stage/sidemount regulator set as well. Servicing is super easy and once you put it together it just works. No hours of tweaking needed like with some diaphragm first stages. Obviously servicing life support equipment is not for everyone and requires a set of skills/training and some self confidence. Just my two cents worth... I hope it helps.

Very Respectfully

Roland

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom