Consideration for first set of doubles regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is poor advice but this is also Scubaboard and I'm sure somebody is willing to argue the merits of yoke doubles. I'm not one of them. I can think of literally no one that uses yoke first stages for a modern or standard doubles or sidemount configuration and I've seen plenty of janky configurations.

Can you do it? Sure. Should you do it? No.

It really has nothing to do with the pressure at least in the US. High pressure tanks in the US are often filled to ~230-240bar. DIN is simply a more secure connection with less of a chance of O-ring extrusion.

The 5th port with turret is debatable. Some people are willing to deal with another potential failure point for better hose routing. Personally I don't find it that important for backmount configuration however it does offer routing advantages for sidemount.
The amount of yoke regs in use finishes that argument.

Modern regs are pretty much all good breathers. In that sense, most any brand will do you just fine. For doubles, it's really helpful to have a bottom port. That improves the hose routing.

I've used most brands at one point or another. I'm using Deep6 now and I'm a big fan. They are great breathers. The company also treats you like an adult and will provide a class to train you how to service them. When you start tech diving and accumulating a bunch of regs, this can actually save a lot of money. Oh yeah, they're also cheaper than ScubaBro and Aquafung.
Deep Sex regulators are not the only ones you can rebuild. You can rebuild just about any regulator with information freely available on SB.

Ok then. You've clearly convinced me of the superiority of yoke regulators with your highly logical argument. Let me switch over all of my doubles, sidemount, stage, deco and rebreather regulators to yoke.

I'll get back to you shortly.. I'm done.

Ok then. You've clearly convinced me of the superiority of yoke regulators with your highly logical argument. Let me switch over all of my doubles, sidemount, stage, deco and rebreather regulators to yoke.

Whatever turns you on.

He must be hanging out with the Alaskan poster giving out questionable advice.

You show up anywhere these days expecting to tech dive with yoke regulators and you’ll probably get laughed at and ridiculed. And you’d deserve it.

Deep Sex regulators are not the only ones you can rebuild. You can rebuild just about any regulator with information freely available on SB.

Unless you're buying used, how are any of them a better deal? Honest question.

Doesn't mean they are better, or even good. It was what was available in mass for the longest time. Mainstay of the recreational diver.

Lets stretch that a little more. The lack of yoke regs used in doubles finishes that argument.

Doesn't mean they are better, or even good. It was what was available in mass for the longest time. Mainstay of the recreational diver.

Lets stretch that a little more. The lack of yoke regs used in doubles finishes that argument.
I’ve used scubapro yoke regs for longer than I care to remember and never extruded an o ring in the water. Singles doubles back mount or side mount. Shallow deep no difference. Good maintenance and careful use is the key to avoiding problems.

You only think that. I think yoke is much better for low pressure tanks.
Ah yes the advantage of an extra knob to get hung up.

The advantage of a noncaptured oring.

The advantage of an oring that sees twice the number of cycles that a DIN oring does.

The advantage of a connection that if impacted can be dislodged.

What an amazing piece of kit.

Ah yes the advantage of an extra knob to get hung up.

The advantage of a noncaptured oring.

The advantage of an oring that sees twice the number of cycles that a DIN oring does.

The advantage of a connection that if impacted can be dislodged.

What an amazing piece of kit.
Your just believing what you’re been told. I find the yoke knob handy to move the bungee to when side mount. It’s almost impossible to dislodge a yoke reg under pressure and the o ring is sitting in the same groove as a din, the only difference is all those treads you have to wind on with din. A complete nuisance for low pressure tanks not to mention non din tanks or seized inserts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom