Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZzzKing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Could anyone on here give me the lowdown on why Aqualung sells Conshelf XIV's to military personnel but not to private citizens? I would really like one but can't seem to locate a source other than military service oriented companies and well used ones on ebay. I know it is very similar to the Titan but I really want the metal second stages. Any ideas? Thanks.

It's a current item in the Aqualung catalog so any Aqualung dealer should be able to order it.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get one. I have a Conshelf SE2 which at the time was sold to both public and military customers.

But if this is true, Lots of defense contractors slightly alter a product's appearance color or name in order to qualify for purchasing by military sources, since the gov. insists on paying the lowest cost below what is available to any distributor or wholesaler. In this era of internet sales undercutting stores, distributors and other retail outlets (who are their real customers), some manufacturers in many equip industries have specially branded lines they only sell to gov/ police customers to avoid having to explain to their civilian customers why they are selling at a mark up. Pistols and rifles are a good example as are desktop computers.

Some manufacturers consider it a fairness issue to not offer the same product to some customers (like the military) at a different cost than to other customers (like Sport Chalet for example.) So they avoid the issue entirely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom