Conshelf se2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiderider

Reaction score
Sales Pitch???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased some used dive gear. And about to take my ow class. I felt I got a great deal. The local dive shop owner says my conshelf se2`s are only sold to military now,so rebuilding them cost about twice as much to get parts. True? Or just trying to sway me into getting new regulator??? I got two usdivers BC`s,in great shape,the usdivers primary and secondary,with octo,dive knife,tons of weight,two belts,three lights,and more.... 500.00 U.S...

I think he is BS's you but in any event this is not the place to ask as it is not vintage related. Ask about the SE2 in the regulator section.

Tiderider,

I have to agree with the Cappy on this one. While I do vintage dive, my "modern" regulator is a Conshelf SE (not a later SE2, but the original SE). Even though I bought it new in 1985, it is definitely not vintage, I mean the second stage is plastic for crying out loud. Are there vintage single hose regulators? Of course, look for almost any Voit, Sportsways, Healthways, plus many US Divers / Aqualung, Scubapro, Dacor, Nemrod, or other brands made prior to 1980.

Still, in the hierarchy of vintage diving, a poor double hose will trump a good single hose.:eyebrow:

p.s. The LDS cr*p about an SE2 costing twice to rebuild as a newer regulator is just that, cr*p.

Like the rest, the SE2 is not vintage but the LDS is full of poo. That is a tough reg that will be diving many years from now... Here is something for you to ask them...what is the cost difference in the kit for a SE2 first stage and a Titan first stage. Anything other than they are the same one and cost the same is pure BS (part# 900001 in case you are interested and around $25) The second stage has all common parts but the official part # is 90013.

Like the rest, the SE2 is not vintage but the LDS is full of poo. That is a tough reg that will be diving many years from now... Here is something for you to ask them...what is the cost difference in the kit for a SE2 first stage and a Titan first stage. Anything other than they are the same one and cost the same is pure BS (part# 900001 in case you are interested and around $25) The second stage has all common parts but the official part # is 90013.

Herman, I am looking for that 900001 parts kit. I cant seem to find one. Do you know where I can get one or any one else?

Thank you

On ebay a lot of the time or some LDSs will sell them to you....if you get to know them. Also, with the exception of a couple of non critical orings (differnet LP port sizes for example) and sometimes the filter, the important parts in almost all USD/AL kits are the same ones.

I recently bought two regs off EBay: 1 Conshelf SE and 1 Conshelf 22. Both are in like new condition, no corrosion and the chrome is absolutely pristine. Tonight, I took them apart and serviced them with Aqualung Titan kits. The parts for the Conshelfs are identical to the Titan and servicing them is the same. Anyone who claims that servicing a Conshelf costs more than servicing a Titan is not being honest.

The Titan and the SE2 take the same service kits. The SE2 second stage is not as technician friendly when it comes to adjusting. It will take longer to adjust especially if they are not used to doing so or they do not have the proper equipment. If they are charging more based upon the couple of minutes more it takes, then my take is it is more about dollars and cents with that shop than customer satisfaction or love of the sport.

As products age and improvements present themselves it is easy to become resentful of the original design from a technician standpoint, from a business standpoint selling equipment is where the narrow minded see the most profit.

Thank you all very much. Yes I found it on Ebay. The Conshelf 1st stage reg, in my opinion, is one of the best ever built and worth keeping.

JT

My advice to the original poster would be to go somewhere else. The store concerned is either woefully ignorant or plain dishonest.

My Conshelf was my fathers - I think he bought it late 70's or early 80's. Yep it's got the chrome 2nd stage which is dinged and scratched as I now use it as an octi. It's done a heap of work as I used to instruct but has sat on a shelf for 10 years while we did the family thing. Dragged it out a year or two ago and took it to the local store for a service expecting him to laugh hysterically and condemn it.

Nope, parts are easily available and it's breathing as well as it ever did. Oh and that's here in New Zealand!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom