Conshelf SE 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruiser24

Contributor
Reaction score
hi,

m new to vintage diving equipment. seen lots of discussion abt conshelf xiv but haven't seen any discussion abt conshelf se 2.

can someone shed some light for me on this reg? how does it compare to the xiv? is it a workhorse and rugged as the xiv?

what are the key differences between the 2?

many thanks for your help

The SE2 really does not fit the def of vintage (it was still listed in the 2006 parts manual), it's just a little old so discussing it in the vintage forum is not really the place for it. That said, there is little differences in any of the Conshelfs from a practical standpoint. The yoke design changed from the early ones and there are some internal differences (later ones had a replacable HP orifice), different LP port numbers and the HP port changed from 3/8 to 7/16 a but operationally, they are identical. Pretty much the same goes for the second stages however the metal ones are more rugged, it takes a lot more abuse to damage a metal second stage bad enough that it is not servicable, the same can not be said for the plastic ones.

many thanks for your kind feedback herman.

apologies if i hv posted it wrongly in the vintage forum.

no need to apologize. my second regulator was a conself SE2, bought it a few years after my cosnhelf 14, so they are close enough in age that the SE2 may soon be considered "vintage". I am not sure what orthodoxy governs the determination of "vintage" and "classic"; maybe its like cars, 25 and 50 years, so in about three years... Herman identified the major differences, the SE2 can best be thought of as a plastic 14, or so my dive shop technician told me when I purchased it. I used mine up until a few years ago when I discovered the housing was cracked shortly after returning from Hawaii and I had to get rid of the second stage. Hooked my 14 up to the SE2 second stage and everything works fine. Guess that makes me half vintage...Don;t get too hung up on labels, dive with what suits you and your interests.

I am not sure what orthodoxy governs the determination of "vintage" and "classic"; maybe its like cars, 25 and 50 years, so in about three years...

Many use 1975 as that was the last year that US Divers had the Royal Aquamaster double hose reg in their catalog.

no need to apologize. my second regulator was a conself SE2, bought it a few years after my cosnhelf 14, so they are close enough in age that the SE2 may soon be considered "vintage". I am not sure what orthodoxy governs the determination of "vintage" and "classic"; maybe its like cars, 25 and 50 years, so in about three years... Herman identified the major differences, the SE2 can best be thought of as a plastic 14, or so my dive shop technician told me when I purchased it. I used mine up until a few years ago when I discovered the housing was cracked shortly after returning from Hawaii and I had to get rid of the second stage. Hooked my 14 up to the SE2 second stage and everything works fine. Guess that makes me half vintage...Don;t get too hung up on labels, dive with what suits you and your interests.

many thanks covediver for your feedback :)

Also, the SE2 and SE3 used a 1/2" LP hose, as opposed to the 3/8" LP hose found on the XIV. I've owned all three in the past and the only difference I found was that the SE2 and 3 seemed to deliver air a little better under heavy work loads than the XIV. Might have had something to do with the larger diameter hose, or it might have just been me. The XIV definitely has more charisma with it's chromed brass second stage though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom