Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you referring about the name?
Conshelf was the name Capt. Cousteau gave his three underwater habitats: Conshelf I, II, and Conshelf III.
They were named after “continental shelf “, where they were basically located.

Creed:
Preaching to the choir here! :) I do envy your Navcon, though.
Creed,
I don't have the Navcon but the Conshelf 6 Non-mag military reg. Only thing different between the two is the decals on it. I got lucky and scored it off Ebay. The seller did not advertise it properly and did not realize what it was. It was unused and came with the Navy Bureau of Ships Manual. I think I got it for less than $70.00 if memory serves. I sorta felt guilty about it. Only had one other bidder.

I'd hate to see this thread end. So I'll try and keep it going. I got my C card in 82. All my equipment was USD and yes, the reg was Conshelf XIV no octo pushed at that time. It was "buddy breathing". My son and daughter are now certed and use Conshelf 14s. My son-in-law will be getting his C card and is looking for conshelf 14s on ebay. Will try to rebuild them ourselvs. I feel it is good to know your equipment inside and out. Gota love the clasics. :D

I am looking at buying a Conshelf XIVs with what I believe is a SEA 1st stage( 2HP 4LP ports) for $125. The set comes with a gauge cluster and a Sherwood Maximus Octo. I talked to a dive shop about the service cost on this set. They told me that it would cost me at least $100 per year to keep this set in working condition and that I would save money in the long run by buying a New ScubaPro reg set with the free service parts. Are they blowing smoke up my backside? Anyone see a problem with this set? I am a simple recreational diver who is getting back into diving after a three year break. I am in Virginia right now but will end up back in the Oregon Washington area after a few years.

I just purchased an owned but unused Conshelf 21 with octopus, conshelf 2nd stage and hose with depth and pressure gauge console for $200.00. Did I get a decent deal? As sndt1319 asks, is it going to cost $100.00 per year for service?

Any good well maintained regulator does not need yearly service. On the other hand, if it is poorly rinsed or you allow salt water into it, yearly service is not often enough.

A Conshelf is a great regulator and should give you trouble free service for several years without a rebuild. You should learn how to inspect it and check that it is operating properly and “if it is not broke, don’t fix it”.

Maybe Couv will drop by and post his inspection list…otherwise just do a search for his service inspection procedure.

A beauty of an older used regulator is that you should not feel obligated to do unnecessary service to keep a worthless warranty. A warranty that charges high dollars for labor just to supply a few inexpensive parts (for “free”) is not a real warranty.

Other great things about a Conshelf are that is has been around for almost 40 years (actually the first stage was first introduced in the Royal Aqua Master double hose regulator in 1965), it is easy to service, parts can be obtained all over the world, and parts should not be hard to obtain for a DIY.

Repair diagrams and service documentation are easy to obtain. If you learn to service it yourself you will surely not need to spend $100 for service at any time.

Most of the internal parts of the Conshelf first stage are shared by most Aqua Lung diaphragm regulators. The second stages vary, but many are simple down stream demand valve that the only part they need a simple rubber seat disc shared by many regulators.

OBTW, I have seen plenty of Conshelf that have not been serviced in 10 or 20 years and were working just fine…some looked pretty bad, but they still work fine.

sndt1319
If a dive shop is trying to scare you with such BS line, I would avoid them and find someone else to take your business.

Scubapro makes great regulators, but that Conshelf can easily still be working great long after the plastic on that Scubapro has long been recycled into a fleece sweater. :rolleyes:

edylchtims
A $200 price for NOS Conshelf sounds very reasonable to me, especially since you got an octopus and pressure gauge. Just because it was never used it doesn’t mean it should not be inspected, the intermediate pressure checked, and breathing resistance checked. Again, do a search for Couv inspection procedure.

I have a Conshelf I bought in 87 and have never had it serviced. Wanted to see how long it will go before it has trouble. I have replaced mouthpieces and inspect it but I keep water out of the first stage and soak it well after diving. I agree with Luis that the warranty game is not a good deal/ 100 bucks is out of line for an overhaul in my opinion.

I have a Conshelf I bought in 87 and have never had it serviced. Wanted to see how long it will go before it has trouble. I have replaced mouthpieces and inspect it but I keep water out of the first stage and soak it well after diving. I agree with Luis that the warranty game is not a good deal/ 100 bucks is out of line for an overhaul in my opinion.
Wow! I know they last a long time before service but... Since 87?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom