Conservative Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen similar between Suunto and Aeris. On a dive last year, we were at 65 feet for 40 minutes (our second dive of the afternoon) when my Aeris showed 14 minutes NDL remaining and my buddy showed 3 minutes on her Suunto. We ended the dive. (ALWAYS follow the MOST conservative computer of the dive) Solution: buddy got a DMPP. Problem solved. Now we both have Pelagics and our profiles are nearly identical.

Suunto is about average. I dive with Suunto Vyper, Delta P VR3 and Alladin Pro, every dive and all agree within a couple of minutes (unless I'm on my CCR)

Rather than the Suunto being to conservative, I think its more a case of the other box being very lenient. Even allowing for multi-profile dives, the sequence given is clearly a deco situation

Before you dive again I would suggest you learn what decompression is and what it does to you, ALWAYS follow the most conservative computer between the pair. Also learn how to use the computers you have. They do tell you decompression is due, before you leave the bottom

13 mins at 6m (where was the 9m stop?) is a lot better than 30 years in a wheelchair

The Suunto RGBM is more conservative than other computers.

I guess that if you choose to use a computer than you should follow the instructions.

Check to see that the altitude and personal settings are correct and decide if you want to continue using the Suunto or move to some other computer.

I use the Vyper and like it very much although it is conservative on repetative dives.

Ari :)

Hmm...

I have a Cochran Commander 2 gas and an Aladin "Sport" air only.

My buddy has the same Commander model (serial numbers are 1 apart), an older Aladin "Pro" air only and he also has a Vyper nitrox.

On our last trip to the Caymans, the Vyper was always the most conservative. I got in 17 dives in 6 days and he got 18 dives in 7 days.

His Vyper was ALWAYS noticeably more conservative than the other 4 computers. On our last day of diving, we did a deco wall dive to 150' and the Vyper locked out.

We dove nitrox for the whole trip except the last dive on air (nitrox deco)

My Aladin, calculating based on air, only required deco once (safety stop was longer anyway...) prior to our last dive when the Vyper just went belly up...

Now my buddy only uses the Vyper when his wive dives with us so he has a good idea of what HER Vyper is reading without having to grab her wrist to look at it. The rest of the time it sits on the shelf.

-edit-

Oh yah, he also wears it while teaching cause the shop he works through sells em but he also takes the Cochran (even if its in a pocket) to keep his "official" dive records.

So you buy a state of the art computer that models the latest knowledge on gas phases and micro bubble formation and then choose to ignore it cos your 10 year old Haldanean compartment based decompresser guesser says its OK.

Why not take out the batteries and then it will give you infinite time at any depth with no stops

Some people deserve the hit they are going to get:rolleyes:

If you dont understand decompression and your bodies response to it and how different computers model it and the consequences of those different models then I would suggest you learn quick while you still have some brain cells functioning

I own a Suunto ME, Alladin Pro, Decobrain, Suunto Vyper and VR3. I no longer dive with the Decobrain, ME and Pro as these models are very dated (And yes they do give shorter stop times). I feel better after deep dives doing the longer and deeper stops the newer models suggest. That tells me that their models are substantially better :D

Sorry for the rant to those that this doesn't apply to

I am new to diving, so my opinion does not come from experience, but from the philosphy that I am adopting. I dive with the Suunto Cobra, and hope very much that it's conservative. In fact, I am changing the settings so that it's the middle profile, making it even more conservative than the default. If that give me 4 minutes less bottom time, c'est la vie.

I'm with Tampascott. I've got a Mosquito which uses the same RGBM model. I'll do what it says. Otherwise I've wasted my money.

I believe in diving conservatively, but sometimes the Suunto RGBM can be simply ridiculous.

I assisted a couple of weekends ago as a Dive Master during open water checkout dives. The dive statistics from my Suunto Mosquito are shown below. If I had followed the computer's recommendation exactly the surface interval before the fifth dive should have been extended, delaying the dive. All ascents were done by swimming into the beach and were therefore very slow. Before the 5th dive, begun over an hour after the fourth dive, the computer record shows an warning because the Diver Attention Symbol was displayed, instructing me to extend the surface interval to reduce microbubble buildup. I assume this was triggered simply because the computer noted that I had done multiple dives over two days. The shallow and short profiles with very slow ascents carry no real risk of microbubble buildup, but apparently the algorithm isn't sophisticated enough to realize that.

Saturday:
Dive 1 Surface int. >99 hr, Max depth 16 ft, Ave depth 14 ft, duration 1min:20s
Dive 2 Surface int. 8 min, Max depth 13 ft, Ave depth 10 ft, duration 10min:40s
Dive 3 Surface int. 1hr:27min, Max depth 25 ft, Ave depth 15 ft, duration 27min:0s

Sunday:
Dive 4 Surface int. 21hr:37min, Max depth 31 ft, Ave depth 20 ft, duration 19min:20s
Dive 5 Surface int. 1hr:3min, Max depth 41 ft, Ave depth 23 ft, duration 25min:0s

Ralph

there was a similar problem on my last boattrip with somebody who had a cobra...
but i don't remember the details...

i've got a sunnto cobra and had never such a problem even after a quick 45m dive and a quite long decco at 10m... everything quite normal...

maybe there a certain setting on yours?

may the air be with you,
mikee

Originally posted by mikeetee
i've got a sunnto cobra and had never such a problem even after a quick 45m dive and a quite long decco at 10m... everything quite normal...

maybe there a certain setting on yours?
Everything was normal, the computer just wanted me to extend the surface interval. This probably indicates a lack of sophistication in the algorithm. I'd guess it's reacting to the number of dives in two consecutive days without taking into consideration the shallow depths and short bottom times.

The computer was in air mode with a P0 A0 setting. No problem there.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom