#$%@ Connector came un-connected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It took me less than 8 minutes to figure out how to disassemble the three pins, pull them out, flatten out the leads of two that were poorly crimped (so I could jam them back in), tin the leads, and solder them up. I'm confident doing this at the time of assembly would add moments to the process. Moments.

Upon closer inspection, it was easy to see the differences in the "depths" of the crimps between these three leads. If these are hand crimped, it was easy to see this is a process that can be improved. If these are machine crimped, the QC needs work.

Either way, it is completely inexcusable that a company with Halcyon's reputation for excellence would not solder these connections. I am not a power user - This light went out on one trip. Its been charged twice. I don't pull on the wires to release the connectons, I'm very conscience about this stuff.

This is simply poor design. Anyone knows crimps are built for speed, and not built to last a lifetime. There is no strain relief on these connections, and these will eventually wear on every one of these lights over time. Halcyon will surely recieve a letter from me over this. I've seen more attention to detail in transistor radios.

I highly recommend anyone with a light double check the connections to assure the wires are solid.

Now - back to the light's performance. It does rule. Now that the battery to switch connection has been shored up, I am confident this thing will offer years of service.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

K

Back
Top Bottom