Connecting Sidemount Bottles With Hphose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is my understanding that regulators will generally tolerate a swap under however a rebuild afterwards and possibly a new SPG is recommended afterwards.

If I was in Deco and needed to access the gas in a tank that had a failed regulator you better believe that I would do the swap and gladly rebuild after. It is much easier to do this if you have a stage and your two sidemount (primary) tanks so you keep breathing something while swapping regulators around.

But dont all tech diving failure scenarios end with you breathing off a bare tank valve with one fin no mask two failed computers and a leaking wing?

Re: swapping regulators, breathing off hoses and whatnot, I recently run into this nice video, see around 3:00 minutes:

But dont all tech diving failure scenarios end with you breathing off a bare tank valve with one fin no mask two failed computers and a leaking wing?

Close, the team is passing the last bottle around, taking turns breathing off the valve, while the deco captain counts seconds in their head and knots on the smb line for depth.... :)

Tobin

At least you had a team I was alone in my scenario.

All the while crocheting a potholder with a line arrow logo on it..

Please, that's secret hand shake, need to know, eye's only details that should never be revealed outside of a tech diving course. :)

Tobin

hkVgHCl.jpg

This looks like an awful lot like an early Benjamin Crossover. Dr. Benjamin was a Toronto-based diver (He owned a successful film processing lab.) who did a ton of deep cave diving in the early '70s in the Bahamas with some little French guy named Jacques. (You may have heard of Ben's Cave... same guy...)

In order to connect his tanks, he had a threaded hole drilled into his (formerly) independent doubles and ran a copper HP line with a pig-tail between time. A couple of years later, he had a solid manifold machined and it is the basis for the isolator manifolds we use now.

Dr. Benjamin invited me to share his breakfast table one morning at a dive conference. He was a very nice man, and extremely modest about his accomplishments.

has anyone tried to connect the two side bottles with a High pressure hose to make it twins but on the side

As i see it, it would need a shut off valve to isolate and a bleed valve to disconnect

has it been done any success?

That sounds like a nightmare. You gonna route that hose behind your back? Where's the isolate knob going to go!!?!! You try it out and let me know how it goes :)

it is my understanding that regulators will generally tolerate a swap under however a rebuild afterwards and possibly a new SPG is recommended afterwards.

If I was in Deco and needed to access the gas in a tank that had a failed regulator you better believe that I would do the swap and gladly rebuild after. It is much easier to do this if you have a stage and your two sidemount (primary) tanks so you keep breathing something while swapping regulators around.

That's how my dives end!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom