Connecting A Gauge Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devil505

Reaction score
I just purchased a 4 gauge Genises 4 console (from ebay) to connect to my old (but
just serviced) Sherwood regulator. Is it easy to connect or should I have my
local dive shop do it?

Devil505:
I just purchased a 4 gauge Genises 4 console (from ebay) to connect to my old (but
local dive shop do it?

I connected all the hoses to the primary stage myself...all you need is an Allen wrench and a regular wrench. Just be careful not to over-tighten the thing, or you might strip some threads. If you are really concerned, hook it up yourself and then have your LDS take a look at it.

T

I'm looking for an inexpensive 2 or 3 guage (SPG+depth (compass or puck computer holder optional)) console. Are you replacing something you would like to part with?

The only reason you would need an allen wrench is if you are removing the HP plug from the 1st stage. If you are replacing consoles, simply screw the old one off and screw the new one on. Check the condition of the o-ring and replace if there is any question, and although it does need to be reasonably tight, do not overtighten.

Devil505:
local dive shop do it?

I did it myself. Pretty simple. Get an appropriately-sized wrench, unscrew it, screw in the new one BY HAND AND DO NOT CROSS-THREAD IT. (If you don't know what cross-threading means, you aught to take it to the dive shop...) hand tighten it and then 'snug' it with the wrench. Snugging does not mean getting a 3' cheater bar and standing on it. The purpose of the wrench is to keep the hose from coming undone on it's own, the o-ring is what makes the seal, not the tightness.

teknitroxdiver:
I did it myself. Pretty simple. Get an appropriately-sized wrench, unscrew it, screw in the new one BY HAND AND DO NOT CROSS-THREAD IT. (If you don't know what cross-threading means, you aught to take it to the dive shop...) hand tighten it and then 'snug' it with the wrench. Snugging does not mean getting a 3' cheater bar and standing on it. The purpose of the wrench is to keep the hose from coming undone on it's own, the o-ring is what makes the seal, not the tightness.
Thanks for all your replys & yes, I know what cross-threading is. I'm fairly handy so I'll do it myself then. (I'm not replacing anything...The only hose coming out of the first stage goes to my main regulator....Not even an Octo..YET)

No octo? Unless you've got an integrated octo on your inflator, you might want to look into getting one. They aren't expensive and are an incredible safety feature.

You gotta have an octo. Last time I checked, LP had a Oceanic Slim Line for under $50. Do the math...buy one on ebay then get it serviced (which it will need)...you get the point. Buy new!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom