confusion over Alabama Point Jetties-private property???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am seeing conflicting reports on whether we can dive the jetties in Orange Beach/Peridido Pass. I understand there is some type of private property issue.

Can we not park at the free parkling lot and go in under the bridge?
We have never dove there, but 2 years ago we did stop and survey the situation. If my memory is correct there is a free parking lot w/restrooms. I seem to remember what looked like " easy entry " under the bridge.

The parking area is on the Fla. side. I seem to remember the jetties are to the SW of the parking area. How far, I am not sure?

Where is the private property that is giving folks fits?

Surely we could dive under the bridge and as long as we stayed under the bridge we should be on public property, but I guess the viz and wildlife would be better near the jetties?

Thanks

The private property is on the West side of the Pass where we usually dive, near the beginning of the jetties. You can still park in the parking lot near the bridge (where the Outrigger restaurant used to be) and dive the seawall, dodging the fishing lines, or walk from there.

We used to park at the end of gulf drive in the parking area for a destroyed townhome. Now, apparently, the Grande Pointe has claimed this property.

gulf rd, orange beach al - Google Maps

There is an old abandoned parking lot that is free for public parking to the right of the Alabama side of the start of the Floribama bridge. There you can jump right in and dive the sea wall(it's a bit of a drop but I've done it before snorkeling the area) or walk about 200-250 meters to the area where the sea wall and jetty meet. There it is about 2-10 feet for about 20-25 yards in any direction. You can also go to depths of about 25-30 feet depending on where you are and your relation to the jetty and how far out the length of it you are.

Sorry if this isn't of much interest to you, just providing as much info as possible. In the shallow area I have seen stingray, sheepshead, flounder(itty bitty things) they get much larger depending on where you are in depth. I have seen octopi, a jellyfish about the size of a dinner plate, stingray, sheepshead, a few redfish(don't normally see them in the bay from my experiences), and a bunch of fishing lures(of which I have a ton of fun pulling on) in the deep area of the jetty.

EDIT: Also, if you are staying at one of the condos on Perdido Beach, I stayed at the Sands(a DAMN long walk, 3 miles!) then you can just hoof it to the jetty if you head left from your condos entrance onto the beach(jetty is about 400 meters past the private pier), depending on where you are, you may be 5 miles from the jetty or 50 yards! Either way you can still easily walk if you are in moderate physical fitness. But I called a cab to get me back to my condo as I was bone tired by the time I got done snorkeling there. I might have broken a rule or two by walking on another condo's entrance to the beach and hopping a fence to get to the parking lot of the condo(open house Sundays, so the gates were open and I could just walk right onto Perdido Beach Blvd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom