Confused with Aqualung Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anemones

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everybody!

First I'm going to apologize for my stupid question before I even ask it. I'm confused and wondering if aqualung core and core supreme are two different products or the same product? And then I would like to know what do you think about diving in cold waters and even under the ice with the aqualung core? :)

All the best
- JJ

The Core Supreme adds a lip shield in front of the mouth piece and it includes an environmental dry chamber on the first stage that the Core does not have. It is the addition of the environmental chamber that make the Core Supreme more suitable for colder waters when compared to the Core.

I am in the market for a new regulator my self. I will be testing the Core at my LDS pool this week. as per the specs please see below, straight from Aqualung:

Number of models

4 models: Core yoke, Core din, Core Supreme yoke, Core Supreme DIN

Type of first stage

Balanced diaphragm design

Auto-Closure Device (ACD)

Yes

Number of HP ports

Number of MP ports

1st Stage Flow Rate

1450 l/min

1st Stage Weight in DIN

510 g

1st Stage Weight in Yoke

700 g

Environmental Dry Kit

On Supreme model only

First stage exterior

Chrome over marine brass

Type of second stage

Pneumatically balanced

Controls

Venturi switch

Breathing resistance

Preset

Mouthpieces

2ea. – A Comfobite, installed, and a standard with bite wings in the box

Lip shield

On Supreme models only

Heat Exchanger for freezing resistance

Standard on all models

2nd Stage Weight

175 g

2nd Stage Weight – Supreme model

178 g

Hose length

730 mm

Overall work of breathing (WOB) scores

Avg. 0.80 joules/liter

Nitrox compatible

Yes to 40% O2 when new, out of the box

The lip shield may be a problem. I find that it interferes with the mask sealing under my nose and was more of pain than it was worth.

The lip shield looked kinda silly to me, I can't imagine it making any noticeable difference. Happy to be corrected if it does.

The lip shield looked kinda silly to me, I can't imagine it making any noticeable difference. Happy to be corrected if it does.

The lip shield just slips over the mouth piece (and is easy to lose when it slips off)

I personally liked mine, it made the mouth piece "feel more comfortable" - hard to explain but it felt strange when one wasn't there.

While I don't dive cold, we do get stinging plankton here at certain times, and the shield did prevent me having tingling lips post dive.

It's not an essential item I'll agree and since I've lost all mine and can't find replacements here I can lie without it.

The lip shield just slips over the mouth piece (and is easy to lose when it slips off)

I personally liked mine, it made the mouth piece "feel more comfortable" - hard to explain but it felt strange when one wasn't there.

While I don't dive cold, we do get stinging plankton here at certain times, and the shield did prevent me having tingling lips post dive.

It's not an essential item I'll agree and since I've lost all mine and can't find replacements here I can lie without it.

I can lie without a lip guard too, but it helps to mask the truth behind the smile...

Last edited:
I like the lip cover, feels like a baby with nipple :D.

I'd like to ask your comment about this Reg, I feel like my air consumption is worse using this reg, even when I setup the air flow knob to minimum. Does anyone experience the same problem here?

Thanks

I like the lip cover, feels like a baby with nipple :D.

I'd like to ask your comment about this Reg, I feel like my air consumption is worse using this reg, even when I setup the air flow knob to minimum. Does anyone experience the same problem here?

Thanks

There isn't an adjustment knob on this reg, just a Venturi switch. Make sure you turn the Venturi switch to Max when diving. It reduces your breathing effort (work of breathing) and consequently your air consumption actually goes down.

Back
Top Bottom