Conflicted: Online v LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I call "BS" on that.

It's Australia mate, it is surprising that it is ONLY a couple of grand difference. Seriously.

To the OP, ask your LDS to match the price otherwise buy online. No LDS is worth a couple of grand. And they always say you are getting a good deal when the internet will clearly show you are not :wink: I always offer local stores a chance to price match + 10% ish for service but no store deserves you to pay a few grand extra. Service should really not cost that much extra!

For good local stores (though local as in Perth) these stores will price match overseas: The Scuba Doctor - Home - Scuba Service and Repair, Dive Shop, Courses and Trips DiveTub Home page @ the Dive Tub Welcome to Sub Aquatics and this place is the cheapest place by far to buy tanks ($399 delivered from Perth to Melbourne) DiveImports.com (Powered by CubeCart)

One thing that I neglected to state explicitly is that he will probably find out that he doesn't need that top of the line reg or the D6 computer. IMHO, I think he'd be wasting money there. Others may disagree.

Nothing will make someone a better diver, except more diving.

I've used some crappy regs. I feel that when you're using a crappy reg you know your using a crappy reg. When you are using a good to great reg, you almost forget you're using a reg and you can really focus on the experience. If you have a good experience, you're more apt to continue to dive. If you didn't because you felt like you were sucking air through a straw, you may not enjoy it as much. I don't think a top of the line reg is bad money no matter how you look at it.

Computers, I'm with you. I personally feel as if I'm regressing to simply wanting just a depth and bottom timer.

Appreciate your comments Bubbletrubble.

I guess I picked this gear because although I don't need this quality as a beginner diver I think allows me a lot of freedom for the future and I do like to know I am using quality equipment. It is also gear I can get a lot of help and advice on because there are quite a few people running this/similar setups in this area. I

Saspotato are there any good shops in melbourne?

I like the following:

The Scuba Doctor - Home - Scuba Service and Repair, Dive Shop, Courses and Trips in Rye (best shop in Melbourne, imho)
Aquability :: Home in Mentone
Academy Of Scuba Home, Scuba Diving Melbourne - Academy Of Scuba in Glen Iris (good club though I don't buy much from there as they are more expensive though they have been willing to price match in the past)
A. B. Ocean Divers Melbourne Australia in Bentleigh has a good reptutation but I haven't been there much.

To be honest, apart from Scuba Doctor I don't buy a lot of gear in Melbourne though I do buy most of my gear in Australia. Dive Tub (link in last post) has an excellent reputation and provides a lot of support even though he is in WA (like my regs came all set up and he will even teach people how to service them as well as provide service kits cheaply, and for my recent reg purchase, the first year's service is free as long as I can fork up $20 to send them to Perth). I also have had good experiences at the other links posted so even though they are not local they do provide good service.

If you get a tank definitely buy it from Dive Imports, most shops charge close to $600 for tanks, which is ridiculous.

I don't know much about the shop in Ballarat (being from near the CBD!) but yea, most shops aren't worth buying off because they just cannot match the price. I think a little bit extra for service is great but no shop ever gives me double the price in service as the item I am buying. I wish I'd known this before I bought my first lot of gear :wink:

Oh and like a few other posters here, it's probably a good idea to try out a whole bunch of scuba gear out first. I have rebought nearly everything that I got initially and I wish I had waited to purchase some of it. Most people are very willing to loan out gear if you would like to try stuff out and I really recommend that as you won't end up rebuying gear like most people.

Call it what you will, retail the price of my kit with an SMB and finger spool was just over $6,000 (local retail) and as a package deal and with current sales I was able to get it down to just over $4,700. Looking through leisurepro with shipping and dollar conversion the price came down to around $3,000. I will email you my quote if you wish.

When you're spending that much, watch out for import duties which can changes the number a little (not much when you have that big of a price difference though)

For good local stores (though local as in Perth) these stores will price match overseas: The Scuba Doctor, Dive Tub, Sub Aquatics and this place is the cheapest place by far to buy tanks ($399 delivered from Perth to Melbourne) DiveImports.com

I often buy things from Dive Tub and Sub Aquatics and have always been happy with the service I've gotten.

Pasc

Thanks Saspotato, yes a few guys from the dive shop said there are quite a few people using the gear I would like to purchase and to just ask because a few of them would let me try the gear out.

When you're spending that much, watch out for import duties which can changes the number a little (not much when you have that big of a price difference though)

I often buy things from Dive Tub and Sub Aquatics and have always been happy with the service I've gotten.

Pasc

If you spend less than AU$1000 on the gear & freight there will be no import duties, GST, or other customs charges. So just split your purchases up into 3 or 4 smaller packages & spread the purchase over a few weeks.

If you spend less than AU$1000 on the gear & freight there will be no import duties, GST, or other customs charges. So just split your purchases up into 3 or 4 smaller packages & spread the purchase over a few weeks.

Yea they have to be a little bit apart in time or else they do get grouped. Another thing to do is to order it in a friend/family member's name and get it sent to their address.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom