Conditions at Lauderdale by the Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone go today? How was it?

ReefGuy:
Anyone go today? How was it?
Right down the road.
When I woke up this morning and waked out to my brother bacony the wind about blew me over.
The waves were around 4 ft crashing the shore and I could see whit caps 1000 meters off shore. So I never made it to the water.. I would imagine it was the same at lauderdale by the sea.
It's surpose to clear up tonite and be better tomorrow. But I'm already back in Tampa.
Fred

Windy. Easterly 14 to 23. Rips in places..Not bad. Should die down by tomorrow. More S.E. Nothing on viz. Surfs up.

Thanks, guys. I'm not sure if I'm going or not. Probably, but I'd hate to just turn around.

I went to the Datura dive site today at 1:30 pm. The surf was about 3-4 at the shore and crashing hard. There was one diver that had tried to go out, but the surf snapped his buoy line and he said the vis was about 3' with a heck of a surge. I also drove to the 12st beach entry in Pompano about 2 hrs ago and the surf was still about 3' at the shore; the buoys were getting tossed around pretty good. I've also spoken to Mike Jacobs about 1 hr ago and we're calling it.

If you're going to do a boat dive, then make the drive, but if you were looking to beach dive, don't bother. Even if the seas were flat all night tonight, the vis will be in the dumps.

Rick

Well, based on this:

Wind Direction (WDIR): E ( 80 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 13 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 15 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.10 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.06 in ( Falling )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 73.2 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 76.5 °F
Salinity (SAL): 36.34

I'm loading the truck! Reefguy and I should be headed out about 0530 or so from here.. push 2.5 hr on that for travel time and we'll see you about 0800! :)

BTW, anyone not good at instant conversion of knots to mph and lots of other metric stuff, here's a nice NOAA link.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/metcon.shtml

Well, we made it over, we dove and literally were watching the water clear up as we were in it. We met some new people, saw some we haven't seen in a while, and even got seperated from our east coast dive buddies (Jenny&girst<sp>) near the peir by a wayward boater deciding to drop anchor BETWEEN us and throwing out FISHING LINES! How kind of them!

We reconviened at the ever hospitable Mike Jacobs abode where we enjoyed a refreshing beer, company and conversation while watching some beach eye candy (ignoring the hairy guy who was sititng with his pants slung so low there was nuttin but crack!HA! butt! crack!), and literally watched the water clear up right before our eyes.

Can't wait to make the trip again, hopefully this time with my wonderful wife and lil X as well!

Yes, you have to bring the family next time. They were missed and poor Julie had only Krista to play with when Jenny was underwater lol... Bring Jeff & kidlets as well.

We had a blast. I don't know what the final count was but people kept coming and going all morning, afternoon and evening. Thanks for Marc for waking me up (I thought the day was cancelled) and Oliver for siding with me about diving in the poor visibility... Jenny almost had me going. Thanks to Krista and Grier for restocking the referigerator - I'm ahead of the game so bring nothing next time! Thanks to Joe Harris for the cool "gone divin'" sign... I'm looking for the perfect place. Lori nixed the living room lol. Thanks to everybody else for just being fun, especially of course Jenny.

Dinner & the music at Arruba's afterward was terrific. I won't need to eat for a week (again, thanks Grier) but of course I do need to dive. Unfortunately, the shore conditions for this week aren't promising according to Greg - our resident meteorologist - but this morning was like glass.

CBulla:
SNIP...
We reconviened at the ever hospitable Mike Jacobs abode where we enjoyed a refreshing beer, company and conversation while watching some beach eye candy (ignoring the hairy guy who was sititng with his pants slung so low there was nuttin but crack!HA! butt! crack!), and literally watched the water clear up right before our eyes.

MikeJacobs:
....and poor Julie had only Krista to play with when Jenny was underwater lol...

Hey!! Does that mean I'm no fun???

Thanks for hosting our impromptu party Mike; hopefully Lori doesn't think we're all rude, home-infiltrating nutcases.... :)
Tell her I promise I'm good at picking out wine whenever she needs a refill.....but she must get certified soon!

I hope to get better soon and be able to join everyone properly UNDER water next weekend, but I'll just have to wait and see....grrr!

Good to meet/see everyone again; we'll do again soon!

It was nice to meet everyone this weekend. Thanks Mike and Lori for allowing us over. Fantastic day all the way around, especially as the vis would have been considered better than decent for this coast :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom