Conditions at Edmonds/Keystone lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there. My buddy and I are hoping to head down (from Vancouver) to Edmonds in a couple of weeks. What is the visibility like, now? Also thinking about Keystone if we can land a good midweek, midday slack tide. Any comments about conditions at either of those places would be great. The last time I dove Edmonds was February 2011 and the vis was awesome.

Visibility in general down here for the last week or so has been very good.

Edmonds is diveable on most moderate exchanges, and the first few weeks of November have relatively high tides throughout the daytime hours, with moderate exchanges.

Keystone is more current-sensitive, although it can be dived on moderate floods (but not on ebbs). November 7th would be a reasonable day, with a morning slack and then a long, mild flood during midday. At this time of year, watch the wind predictions, too, because strong winds, especially south winds, can make the site uncomfortable for diving, with waves and big driftwood.

Well things change to the weather, if it rains might be a little less vis then now.

Keystone is a good vis dive at a slack and I am not sure of edmonds.
post on this thread when your traveling down and we can look at tides that day and where to go.

kenns looking at your chilliwack link dale c can give ypou his trip info, although he has missed it at keystone and had ?'s here on SB awhile back so let it be known what day you will come dive it to get you in keystone at a perfect time. hope your chilliwack club works out for you.

Yes, 11-10 you have a slack at 11:50, and then a small flood from then until slack again at 3:30. Should be a very decent day for Keystone. Be careful about getting behind schedule, though, as the afternoon ebb is good-sized. Ebb currents there will tend to sweep you around the end of the jetty.

Thanks TSand M, but I'm confused (just learning how to read tide charts). I'm using the Admiralty Head chart and it shows low tide is at 9:27am and high tide at 2:30pm with roughly a 1.5-2.0' exchange. So I'm not sure where you are getting that slack is at 11:50. Are you using a different station than I? If so, this is a huge difference in times. We're looking at Nov 10th, right?

Tide table for Port Townsend (Point Hudson), Admiralty Inlet, Washington

kenns put the 10th on then go bottom hit current stations tab, then admiralty inlet and then you will see the 11:50 slack and the least amount of current is 11:15 to 12:15 for a dive. but be ready at 11:00 as tides have been known to run a bit early or late. On the 9th slack current is about 10:50

Last edited:
Slack current doesn't always coincide with high or low tide. I'm using the Admiralty Inlet current charts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom