Condition of Key Largo dive sites after storms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmcdarris

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m considering a dive trip with my daughter in mid-March to Key Largo, but I’m concerned about storm damage from last year. I understand that most is cleaned up topside, but what about the condition of the coral? Did the storms beat them up? My daughter and I don’t get to go on many dive trips together (this will be the 1st trip in 3 years together) so I want a trip with a wow-factor and not one that we come home talking about the destruction of the coral.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I’m considering a dive trip with my daughter in mid-March to Key Largo, but I’m concerned about storm damage from last year. I understand that most is cleaned up topside, but what about the condition of the coral? Did the storms beat them up? My daughter and I don’t get to go on many dive trips together (this will be the 1st trip in 3 years together) so I want a trip with a wow-factor and not one that we come home talking about the destruction of the coral.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was wondering about the same, planning a trip too in March!... From what I could find, it appears that the hurricane path hit Marathon area and moved north towards the Gulf causing some important damages . So, the Upper keys should be be just fine.

I am surprised that no one else has chimed in on your thread . We have been taking
out customers as soon as the canals were open after the hurricane and we had
sponsors . We took a trip out with our staff as other dive operators did as soon
as we could . We posted a video which is in a S Florida post Irma thread . Things are
a little different , some objects moved and uncovered , sand moved , but for the most part
we are very fortunate . Our marine life is our strength and keeps people coming back
year after year . I am not sure what your Wow factor bar is , but again everyone is
enjoying their dives . Stephen Frink wrote a great article in Alert diver , Dan's publication ,
about Key Largo post Irma . If you get a chance try and find a copy . I hope that you and
your daughter have a great dive trip what ever destination you choose .Happy diving !
Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com

I have to agree with @seadweller there has been a bunch of sand moved, a few mooring buoys lost. All in all, the diving is still fantastic. I haven't been on any of the big wrecks post-irma but I haven't heard of anything significant.

I dove spiegel grove, Benwood and the Duane in November and have done a bunch of the popular reefs as well. Very little change underwater and still awesome dives!! You and your daughter will have a great time!

Everything is great. I’m with Key Largo Dive Center and we have been going out regularly. The wind has been blowing lately which has stirred it up but the marine life is flurrishing. Saturday we saw numerous turtles, a man o war and while diving we were visited by three dolphins. It was an epic day.

Buddha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom