Concrete entry at Marine Land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Claudette and I had an easy entry once, swam about a hundred miles underwater and then got a free ride out of the water all the way into the cave, thanks to a ten foot wall of wet gravel. She also got to see a bull sea lion chomp my elbow there. You never know when Marineland will tell you it's time to leave. :)

MaxBottomtime:
She also got to see a bull sea lion chomp my elbow there. You never know when Marineland will tell you it's time to leave. :)

I believe that's the third time I've heard you mention unfriendly pinepeds at this site. I need to keep my eyes open more when I'm there. Dirty buggers are probably lurking in the shadows waiting for me to put my guard down.... :wink:

Mo2vation:
Nothing against making some dive sites more accessible - but not this one.

Speaking for myself, I hope the entry to OML is never a walk in, or paved, or steps, or anything less or eaiser than it is now.

I hope they don't make the hill less steep, I wish there wasn't talk of paving the walk or adding facilities.

I hope the walk back up that hill after an 88 minute dive, in a drysuit, wearing a 130 and schlepping heavy Turtle fins and a rediculously outsized camera rig never gets easier. Some things shouldn't be easy. I work very hard to stay in shape, and this is one of the top reasons why.

I hope they don't install benches on the way up for gentle post-dive repose. I want to walk up that hill in a brisk and unbroken stride and arrive at the top panting - knowing I accomplished something on both the dive and after the dive.

I hope they don't knock out any of the tough and jagged rocks at the point - as I have entry channels mapped out for every possible tide height and accessible swell condition.

I hope that cobble beach remains as slippery and as noisy 20 years from now as it is today.

OML is not a dive for everyone. Its that simple. You gotta want it. You need to practice, you need to get bounced a few times, you need to be in shape, you need to have game. Especially to get in at the point most days.

To dive OML regularly as it sits today means something to those of us who do. I'm bitter you no longer need to hop a fence of tramp down an overgrown trail to get to our fav entry point.

To turn it into another Casion Point type entry, or make it so easy that the riff raff will descent enmasse, or classes can be held there, or have it open all hours so it becomes Drink Vets South would be a shame.

I love it just as it is. Even with the little plastic fence you gotta climb over to get to the point these days. Kinda cool, really.

Ken

Out of curiosity, would you then support the degradation of access to other sites? For instance, removing stairs to the major dive sites in Laguna? Not that it's gonna happen, but just wondering for discussion's sake.

Jake:
Out of curiosity, would you then support the degradation of access to other sites? For instance, removing stairs to the major dive sites in Laguna? Not that it's gonna happen, but just wondering for discussion's sake.

Anyone can tell you how I feel about OCal diving. I'm 0 - 5 in the 714. Actually, I had about half a good dive there once... we'll call it .5 for 5.

---
Ken

JMdiver:
I agree with Ken except for climbing of the fence deal I can do w/o that but the rest is about right. It's fairly new to me & like Tevis have visited there mire times than I've dive it & have been injured there because I went in when it was boarderline. Got in OK but the exit was a little ruff so this place is not for everyone & that's OK with me some places should be left alone. Still haven't dove the point yet, soon I hope.

John

J I would be honored to share what little I have learned and dive LP with you. Your call my RC brother!

Happy Monday morning all,

T

Actually these and similar reports guarantee that the developer will never improve access beyond their requirements. Don't expect to see pictures of diving in their promotional materials. They are letting us keep diving there because the public acquired recreational rights to the property through continuous use for a five year period prior to 1982 (funny details of California property law). California law can also create liability exemptions for certain types of public access. If the owner improved or advertised the property to promote diving they would in theory be partly responsible for some fool taking them up on it.

Jim

Mo2vation:
Anyone can tell you how I feel about OCal diving. I'm 0 - 5 in the 714. Actually, I had about half a good dive there once... we'll call it .5 for 5.

---
Ken

:rofl3: I spit coffee on my keyboard. I too am 0.25 for 7 for OCal diving, I can get no viz in Malibu, I am still wondering WHY I would drive 2+ hours to dive shallow and blind?

Answer: The crack pipe :rofl3: :mooner:

T

Jake:
All the stairs in LB are for beach access only. There is absolutely no consideration for access for diving in the City of Laguna Beach. Just because one cove is named after a small cross section of enthusiast does not mean it is intended for them. The stairs that let you access the beaches of Laguna are for beach goers. Those will not go away until the beach goers do.
I would, however, support the degradation of access at these sites for anyone who is a permanent resident of any city east of Saddleback Mountain though!:D

Mo2vation:
Actually, I had about half a good dive there once... we'll call it .5 for 5.

---
Ken
I'm glad that you remembered that! At least I got to be part of it!:D

Back
Top Bottom