Concerns about Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_Bipartitus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have tickets reserved to Fiji in June. I was interested if there are any perspectives on the political troubles? I'm not sure if I should consider an alternate destination.

So far the US State Dept. has not issued any alerts, or warnings on Fiji, and the country specific page has not changed in several months, with the previous cautions about traveling to Fiji due to its political uncertainty still mentioned. So does that mean what happened last week in Fiji is not a concern for travel or just that it's not enough to make the US radar screen yet? I did see a comment from Sec. of State Hillary condemning the actions in Fiji, but that's all I've found.

However, Australia and New Zealand officials are really outraged and have slightly increased warnings on travel for their citizens to Fiji.

But the general consensus I've read on other boards seems to be that if you are not going to be in or near Suva and you are staying on the outer islands everything should be OK.

We also have a trip planned for June and I have some concerns as well. Right now we are just monitoring the situation and if anything escalates or they shut down the airport in Nadi, then we likely wouldn't go. But in reality the only way it would escalate is if the citizens revolted and that's probably not going to happen since really everything is the same as it's been since the Dec. 06 coup, which was bloodless.

A good source for information has been Fiji Times Online - Fiji News, Sport and Weather from the pages of The Fiji Times but since police are now stationed in all the Fijian newsrooms they may be somewhat stifled.

I guess so far I'm thinking the same way as I have no intention of going near Suva. Though it may be different If I could get back the several thousand already paid for flights.

I wouldnt worry about it to much there is always political trouble in fiji. Was over there at the time of the last coup and was on a tour that went through suva and didnt notice anything. So if your staying away from suva dont think youll have to much to worry about.

Interesting...I am going to Fiji for the first time the last week in July. Looks like I will need to watch what is happening there. Good info though.

Oops! double post see below.

My contact at our resort says everything is business as usual in Fiji and really nothing has changed. Of course the same people still are in charge, as they were before, even without a "legitimate" government.

She said she was in Suva yesterday and didn't notice anything different or anything out of the ordinary, and stressed that it is purely a political situation and nothing that should affect our travel or stay.

So as long as the fish are still swimming and not protesting I guess it's a go!!

We were in Fiji (stayed in Kandavu mostly) during the last coup too - if you didn't know it was happening - you would have never known.

I don't know if anything different has been happening, but I was there in Jan. 2007, soon after the coup and life wasn't any different for the general population or the tourism industry. The diving was out of this world and the people just go about their business as usual. From Nadi to the Pearl (resort) we went through several military check points, but never got stopped and never felt threatened in any way.

Back then there were alerts issued by the governments of Australia, New Zealand for thei residents to abstain from going to Fiji, but it wasn't because of safety reasons. It was purely their way of trying to put pressure on the, then, new politica.

The locals were still friendly as all get out. The friendliest I've seen anywhere in the world. This and the diving make Fiji high on my "have to do again" list.

I agree with the other posts above. We were there for a month in August of 2006, just before the last coup. News stories at the time were pretty similar to what we're seeing now. Once we got there, we had absolutely no indication that anything was gong on. Fiji is really spread out over a bunch of tiny little islands that are pretty much worlds of their own. There could be blood running in the streets in Suva (highly unlikely) and you probably would not even hear about it until you returned from your trip. Even in Nadi, things seemed perfectly calm and normal.

And, as mentioned above, the people in Fiji were far and away the most genuinely friendly and good natured people I have ever encountered anywhere. At first I thought they were just hustling for tips (and doing a really good job at it too), but then most of them wouldn't take a tip when offered.

In any event - I wouldn't worry about it at all and will gladly take your tickets if you don't want to go :D. Have a great trip!

Back
Top Bottom