concerned about warning label on mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SashaS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
hi there,

I am new to snorkeling, and I just bought a mask that I thought I'd be very happy with (and still may be), but I just noticed that it has a really scary warning on it, which reads:

Caution

This lens exceeds the impact test requirements of the American National Standard z86-11-1985. Impact resistant lenses can break or shatter and cause injury to the user if subjected to undue force or impact."

Has anyone ever seen a warning like this? This was a pretty expensive mask, so I'd expect it to be safe. (It's the AquaLung MicroMask -- I would post a URL, but apparently I have not made enough posts on this site yet to be allowed to do that.)

Anyway, is this a standard warning, and if so, does that mean "don't worry about it"? Or does it mean that ANY set of goggles is capable of damaging my eyes? I'm not planning to encounter "undue force or impact," but it's still a little freaky.

thanks for any input,
Sasha

It is pretty standard. The American National Standard z86-11-1985 is the standard for scuba/snorkeling masks. This says that it exceeds the impact tests requirements. In other words it performed better than the standard when tested.=\

Your mask is not a set of "safety glasses/goggles" so you are not expected to encounter "undue force or impact" to your mask.

Yeah, the first sentence of the note sounds like a good thing, but then the second one sounds bad -- bad and also confusing. Is being "impact resistant" the problem (technically, that's what it says), or do they mean that problems can result from being not impact resistant enough?

Also, the fact that the text appears under the label "Caution" indicates that the overall message is one of a problem. But perhaps this is just a case of bad writing and labeling.

hahaha - thank you!

Yeah, the first sentence of the note sounds like a good thing, but then the second one sounds bad -- bad and also confusing. Is being "impact resistant" the problem (technically, that's what it says), or do they mean that problems can result from being not impact resistant enough?

Also, the fact that the text appears under the label "Caution" indicates that the overall message is one of a problem. But perhaps this is just a case of bad writing and labeling.

Basically it's saying that the mask is more resistant to impact than is required, but should you subject it to a excessive force while wearing it, it could break and it could cause damage in the process.

Like NetDoc said, don't take a header into a big rock and you should be fine.

FYI- scuba diving in 2011 will be considered a HAZARDOUS SPORT thanks to our governor now......

Can anyone THANK arnold again.... for all he has done.....

1...2....3....THANKS ARNOLD....lmfao

Look it up if you dont believe me...

Masks work really well as bumpers and continue to do so even with the lens(s) covered with scratches chips and other impact marks.:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom