Conception

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to add something to the night watch bit--the difference between a dedicated night watch crew member and rotating the watch among the regular crew members.

The theory is that item #3 will cover that:
3. Installation and use of monitoring devices to ensure wakefulness of the required night watch (for covered SPVs with overnight passenger accommodations);​
I have personally had a number of occasions where I have had to be up in the middle of the night after a long day of work. It is really, really easy to nod off under those circumstances without even realizing it, and you don't have to nod off for long to miss a fire.

As someone who has had to deal with sleep issues for a long time, I have read a number of studies on sleep deprivation. It does funny things to your mind. One of the studies of people who have trouble sleeping showed that during periods when they thought they were fully awake at night, there were actually periods when they were sound asleep and didn't know it.

On a boat, like the Conception, is the size will limit the amount of good sleep anyone can get during the day while operating. Not that it won't work, but it will have issues of it's own.

I would suggest a series of timed keylock security stations throughout the boat, with a 5 or 10 minute of opportunity to deactivate an alarm that would go off in the crew quaters. Someone would be up regardless.

On a boat, like the Conception, is the size will limit the amount of good sleep anyone can get during the day while operating. Not that it won't work, but it will have issues of it's own.

I would suggest a series of timed keylock security stations throughout the boat, with a 5 or 10 minute of opportunity to deactivate an alarm that would go off in the crew quaters. Someone would be up regardless.
Review BNWAS.

OK for a stationary watch, but has nothing for a roving watch.
Gotta be in the wheelhouse every 15 minutes to punch the button.

It is miles ahead of what the crew on Conception did.

Gotta be in the wheelhouse every 15 minutes to punch the button.

It is miles ahead of what the crew on Conception did.

Well, yeah. The ever-present but, is that you never have to leave the wheelhouse, and have very little view of passenger areas from there. With remote cameras and sensors it could be done, however.

Back
Top Bottom