Computers Vs. Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm. I dive with a depth gauge, SPG and a watch and have done so for over forty years. I was born with my dive computer between my ears. In addition to a set of tables, it's all I've ever needed.

I am in almost the exact spot as you - 14 dives, however my route to getting here is a tad different and being that I have no more (less!) experience than you, I may not be able to help, but here's what I did -

I live in VA, got certified in Key Largo last July. I always assumed I would get a computer along with the rest of my gear, read up on it and got the Gekko. That was a very good choice for me - no real frills, mounted in a console with an SPG and a compass. Then in October I came back to VA and took AOW in Millbrook Quarry, and Nitrox as well. Viz was maybe 4 ft. Nitrox mode was obviously needed and great to have, but the size of the console was starting to bother me. I try to have an efficient rig and that big honkin thing bugged me.

This year I have been diving in pools for work and have done another 25 jobs with the Gekko and have decided to move to a wrist mount air integrated unit. I paid a bunch of money for it, and now am seeing the light a little on how great the Gekko is for a guy of my experience. I am heading to Key West next week via Pensacola, and am:

A) convinced that a computer is right for me. I don't ride horses to work, use a typewriter, a phonograph or an abacus. Better things have come along like cars, PC's, iPods and calculators. So while none of those inventions are needed, they sure make the job easier. You still have to plan your dive either way, but the computer is capable of more complex computations than I am with gauges alone, increasing my bottom time, and it will let me know if I made a mistake and screwed up.

B) I (and maybe you?) am too new to know what I really want/need/like. The $900 toy on my wrist is feature packed and small, but much more complicated to navigate than a 3 piece console. We have enough to worry about without task loading on trying to access the compass and light at the same time, missing the right menu, gloves not allowing us to press button right etc. The big Gekko is quick to use, easy to see, fairly powerful and cheap. It does have a hose, and manages to squirrel its way away from me where I have to reach/scoop it into me to read, but that could be remedied with some more tweaking and experience I bet.

I thought about breaking the console out into wrist mount computer, wrist mount compass, and SPG held tight into BC/d-ring. Then you have a hose plus 2 things in your bag, on the deck of the boat/out the scupper. Its all a trade off I guess.

My wife has my Gekko now (8 dives) and she might have come out on top in this deal. We'll see. Whatever you get, just train yourself with it till it becomes intuitive.

I want to thank everyone for you advice and comments. I have a friend who had a spare set of gauges laying around the he said I could use for the time being. I am going to use these and practice my tables for the time being. I am currently only doing 1 dive at a time and only going down 40-50ft. My dive profiles are nothing extreme and I am in no rush. My friends generosity has allowed me to save the money and continue to add to it until I have enough for a computer that I really want and will suit my needs without compromise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom