Computers for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is this whole "quarter" and "licking fingers" thing - sounds like a Monty Python sketch? Seriously though, what are you guys referring to?
Here you go Joneill ;

TURNING ON THE EMC-20H or EMC-16: Although the EMC-20H & EMC-16 automatically turns on when it is submerged in water, it is STRONGLY recommended that wetting two fingers and simultaneously touching Contacts 1 and 2 for two seconds manually power the unit up. This allows the diver to ensure that the unit is operating correctly and has adequate battery capacity prior to entry. Once activated, the unit will remain on for 60 minutes. If a dive is not initiated within these 60 minutes, the EMC-20H & EMC-16 automatically shuts off. Notice that when Contacts 1 & 2 are first bridged, a short beep is issued which indicates that the unit is recognizing the touch. Every time Contacts 1 & 2 are bridged with wet fingers, the unit will stay on for one full hour.

Cochran Undersea Technology

Sorry our dive computers don't do "silly walks" lol :happywave:

Have a wonderful long weekend
Safe Diving
John

Sales Manager Worldwide
Richardson, TX

www.DiveCochran.com
www.CochranMilitary.com :unitedstates:

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center Orlando, Florida Nov 1-4, 2017.

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, TX. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU List) Program" and its dive computers are being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

You use moistened fingers and a quarter to bridge the contacts on the device for either turning it on or setting it up. The computer can differentiate between the resistance of fingers or metal and responds accordingly.

Make no mistake: It's a SUPERB device. I have over 600 dives on mine with nary an issue. The contacts are its strongest and weakest feature: Impossible to flood but impossible to program if you lose that infernal quarter.

You use moistened fingers and a quarter to bridge the contacts on the device for either turning it on or setting it up. The computer can differentiate between the resistance of fingers or metal and responds accordingly.

Make no mistake: It's a SUPERB device. I have over 600 dives on mine with nary an issue. The contacts are its strongest and weakest feature: Impossible to flood but impossible to program if you lose that infernal quarter.
Thx.

Craig,
I find it very interesting that a " Staff Member" of ScubaBoard is scrutinizing a reply. Another dive computer company that heavily advertise on ScubaBoard, one of their engineers make comments and recommendations on a daily basis.
Thank you for occasionally diving our dive computer since 2006 and at our next engineering meeting I will tell Mike Cochran who was last years recipient of the
Academy of Underwater Arts & Sciences 2016 NOGI award that that using a quarter or to wet your finger is still annoying.
Unlike many other members on ScubaBoard Jeff and I don't hide behind a pseudonym or alias.

Again have a great long weekend
Safe Diving
John

Sales Manager Worldwide
Richardson, TX

www.DiveCochran.com
www.CochranMilitary.com :unitedstates:

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center Orlando, Florida Nov 1-4, 2017.

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, TX. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU List) Program" and its dive computers are being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.
Hi John,

I am mainly a diver and the majority of my posts reflect that. I'm sorry that you see my posts as reflective of my roll as SB staff, you are not the first to do so. I am unaware that you think we may show favoritism towards one of you competitors. Please send me or @The Chairman a personal message and we will look into the matter.

Very best, Craig

Craig,
I find it very interesting that a " Staff Member" of ScubaBoard is scrutinizing a reply. Another dive computer company that heavily advertise on ScubaBoard, one of their engineers make comments and recommendations on a daily basis.
Thank you for occasionally diving our dive computer since 2006 and at our next engineering meeting I will tell Mike Cochran who was last years recipient of the
Academy of Underwater Arts & Sciences 2016 NOGI award that that using a quarter or to wet your finger is still annoying.
Unlike many other members on ScubaBoard Jeff and I don't hide behind a pseudonym or alias.

Again have a great long weekend
Safe Diving
John

Sales Manager Worldwide
Richardson, TX

Well, NOW I want to try a Cochran computer.

Craig,
I find it very interesting that a " Staff Member" of ScubaBoard is scrutinizing a reply. (
SNIP)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Hey everyone. This comes up frequently, so it may be helpful to reiterate here. Mods on SB are, first and foremost, users. When they post, unless it is as a modpost like this one, please assume they are posting as a user. All such posts will be treated as such by the rest of the mod corps and will be edited, deleted or reported as necessary, same as everyone else.

This is one of the reasons I have removed the Staff badge from my profile, in order to minimise any confusion.

I know this needs to be taken on faith, but we have VERY clear instructions not to play favourites with companies, regardless of their advertising spends. Pete has enough advertisers waiting to step in if someone starts to play silly games.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming.

As a recommendation for a dive computer at an entry level price, I did a lot of research when I bought mine back in April.

At the time the best value for the money seemed to be the Cressi Giotto.

Fairly conservative in its default settings (buy I seem to remember that the safety factor is adjustable). Supports deep stops. Supports nitrox and two gas dives.

In other words quite adequate for recreational diving and early tech diving.

My only dislike is that although the display is large enough that I don't need reading lenses to see the main values with my bad eyes, a few minor values get displayed in a tiny font. But it would be absurd to expect better from a $300 dive comp.

A couple final thoughts:

1) As others said, if you are going to work as a DM, you will probably need a comp from the brands the shop sells (then again, they will likely give you a good employee discount).

2) Whatever dive comp you buy, make certain that you can get it serviced locally.

As a recommendation for a dive computer at an entry level price, I did a lot of research when I bought mine back in April.

At the time the best value for the money seemed to be the Cressi Giotto.

Fairly conservative in its default settings (buy I seem to remember that the safety factor is adjustable). Supports deep stops. Supports nitrox and two gas dives.

In other words quite adequate for recreational diving and early tech diving.

My only dislike is that although the display is large enough that I don't need reading lenses to see the main values with my bad eyes, a few minor values get displayed in a tiny font. But it would be absurd to expect better from a $300 dive comp.

A couple final thoughts:

1) As others said, if you are going to work as a DM, you will probably need a comp from the brands the shop sells (then again, they will likely give you a good employee discount).

2) Whatever dive comp you buy, make certain that you can get it serviced locally.
Cressi is arguably the most conservative of the RGBM computers, @dmaziuk will disagree. It cannot be made more liberal than it's baseline algorithm, only more conservative. I think a DM candidate could better than this, and not have the computer that controls the dives.

The oceanic Geo 2 still looking good to me ATM

"Conservative" is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't been limited by my computer so it hasn't been conservative to me. So far. I am not DM'ing though, nor doing 6 tanks/day for 2 weeks liveaboard trips. YMMV.

That said, I always though giotto was a waste of money because there're several multi-gas computers in its price bracket, most with better feature sets. It's the under $200 bunch where your choices are mares puck or cressi leonardo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom