Computers and flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi. I just got back from a trip on airplane today.

I dove last sunday and flew out on Tuesday. No problem with the no fly time. Tuesday night when I looked at my watch it said no fly. I can't tell you how scared I was. I checked the log right away and it registered a dive to 6 feet for 4 minutes. The timeof dive says 11:28 am. I landed at 11:55 so this must have been when we started the descent.

On the flight back I kept my eye on the computer and nothing happened.

Anybody have an experience like this? I have a Stinger and the plane was an Airbus A340.

Your guess would be right-on ... for some reason the Stinger registered the airplanes descent as a dive ...though that SHOULDN'T happen.
The airplane cabin is pressurized to the equivalent of 8000 feet when at altitude ... and as the airplane descends, the "cabin" descends as well (to sea-level, or airport elevation).

I wear my Stinger when flying ... averaging about 10 flights per week in a 737. I've never had that happen.

I wonder if there's a lot of salt crystal buildup in the pressure/depth sensor of yours. ??? just a thought ... I have no idea if that would affect it in this way or not.

try rinsing the computer in warm water...that should get rid of salt crystals

I wouldn't get too excited about it. As you should do anyway periodically, compare your computer depth readings to some other computers or analog depth gauges as a check on its accuracy.

The air pressure change from 8000' cabin altitude to sea level is about 8fsw.

There have been other reports of bogus dives caused by cabin pressure changes, but most have involved either inadvertant activation of the computer while at altitude, or a very rapid repressurization of the computer when you upon up a sealed drybox that had equalized to the lower in-flight pressure.

Charlie

With further thought, it occurred to me that it shouldn't go into dive mode regardless of pressure changes unless the water-contact is active... I'd give Suunto a call and ask them about it if MY Stinger were doing this.

where was your computer? was it in a bag with any moisture like your regs? was it possible that any water dripped onto the comp while in your bag?
I'm not familiar with the stinger but any comps I've used in the past have only gone into dive mode when the get wet. I might have it checked if your sure it didn't get wet while in the baggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom