Computer USB Interface Price.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacky Boy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Having recently bought the Mares Nemo Sport dive computer I decided I wold like to be able to download my logs onto my laptop. The price for the connector to do so costs £100.

For what is essentially a modified USB cable, such as that which comes free (along with bog standard software) with every other type of electronic device which connects to a computer, such as a digital camera, mp3 player, mobile phone , ebook reader etc. I find this type of profiteering incredibly cynical.

Are there 3rd party manufacturers who make cheaper versions? I know there is 3rd party software available.

PS.
I would have thought this would be a common topic, however a quick search yielded no results. If it really is common and i just didn't search properly for it I apologise.

A guy in Germany as been selling USB cords for Suunto for some time now on ebay. You might do some looking around. But otherwise I agree the dive computer mfg are killing consumers with the over priced USB cords. But they are having them made in small number thus the high cost.

A guy in Germany as been selling USB cords for Suunto for some time now on ebay. You might do some looking around. But otherwise I agree the dive computer mfg are killing consumers with the over priced USB cords. But they are having them made in small number thus the high cost.

Thanks for the info, I couldn't find anything on ebay, maybe I'm using the wrong keywords, I'll try again. Found a site that sell some 3rd party usb cables, but not the one I want. Sent them an e-mail though, see how it pans out. That's German too, maybe it's the same guy.

I don't buy the small number high prices argument at all. When buying something as expensive as a dive computer, a usb connector or software should not be sold at extra cost.

----------------------------EDIT-----------------------------

Actually I don't have an issue with premium software being sold extra, so long as a basic software package is included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom