Computer that allows Freedive before Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never used a "freedive" mode before.

The obvious solution to this would be to just leave the computer in dive mode.

The computer would freak out and shut off due to rapid ascents and descents to depth following a 3 minute "surface interval".

Would it work to treat the free dives as short scuba dives, since you won't get locked out for skipping the safety stop? Then you may also have a record of depth contours instead of just max depth.
I also have a SUUNTO and buttons are a bit tough. Does your DC have the rubber flap button covers on it, or are you pressing directly on the actual round buttons?
Also there are available bungee wrist mounts that you might find adjust more easily than the strap, if interested, FYI.

Suunto, were helpful. Though wouldn't replace it unless sent to original retailer (which wasn't feasible as on other side of world)
Was sent to local repairer who replaced whole internal module apparently. Took less than 5 days and free of charge no questions asked.

All the buttons seem much easier to press now, as well.

Would it work to treat the free dives as short scuba dives, since you won't get locked out for skipping the safety stop? Then you may also have a record of depth contours instead of just max depth.
I also have a SUUNTO and buttons are a bit tough. Does your DC have the rubber flap button covers on it, or are you pressing directly on the actual round buttons?
Also there are available bungee wrist mounts that you might find adjust more easily than the strap, if interested, FYI.

Was directly on the round buttons.
If I don't like on my wrist can mount in my Suunto Console.
$_57.jpg

Still haven't tested it in the water, now its been repaired.
20170326_152514.jpg

I have a Suunto scuba computer. I'm going to try this. Multiple 20 meter free dives for max time of 1 min 30 seconds. Rapid ascents.
My curiosity is aroused. I haven't used a scuba computer much in the last 10 years. Mostly free diving.

Rumour is, RGBM-based algorithms tend to penalize for rapid ascents. If you go diving afterwards you might find your bottom times much shorter that you'd expect. </pure speculation>

Rumour is, RGBM-based algorithms tend to penalize for rapid ascents. If you go diving afterwards you might find your bottom times much shorter that you'd expect. </pure speculation>
A scuba computer won't penalize you for doing crazy, fast ascents (free diving)? Like, just shut down with a message on the screen like, "WHAT ?!?!?!. DO YOU WANT TO DIE"???? It does go against everything you learn in an Open Water course.

The devil's in the details, e.g. if I only have one day at the beach, I don't really care how much it will penalize me tomorrow.

With ZHL or VPM you could just lift the code from subsurface, wrap it in a test subroutine, and see what it does, but with Suunto all you can do is actually freedive with it... having to do all that diving, that sucks somehting awful.

If I were going to scuba and only had a scuba computer, I would leave it in the boat and just free dive. I use a free dive computer, but in reality, it's just strapped to my wrist. Some days, I hardly look at it.

Free diving AFTER scuba....no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom