Computer that allows Freedive before Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vandros

Registered
Reaction score
HI All,

Been diving for 20+ years but just using analog instruments (Conshelf 14 reg) A number of reasons are pushing me towards upgrading instruments, so looking for a base level computer puck pro, Zoop Novo, Leonardo etc

Cost Is a factor, Would like a watch, but also have the option to buy a console that I can mount it in.

I'm having difficulty finding out which computer allows Freedive before Scuba?

Eg. Go Snorkling/Freediving looking for a good spot for crays/scallops etc and then come back with the tanks

At first I thought anything with freedive mode allowed this, however was told the zoop would lock you out for 12hrs if you went free diving. I'm some what astonished as assumed its very common thing to do before a dive.

I don't understand why, as it wouldn't be difficult to implement for manufactures. And seems so useful.

Why can't you just not use the computer while freediving?

Are you freediving beyond more than 20 feet for more than 5 minutes at a time?

Why do you think the computer would lock you out?

Its useful to know your depth when you want to find a location under the water again, especially if your in a boat with a sounder. But it not essential, as never had it before.

Only believe they lock out dive mode based on, Sales people and a number of comments on line. Haven't found anything either way in the manuals yet. Maybe the sales guy and Northernone above were wrong?

Last edited:
Ask shearwater folks about this.

Most computers will lock you out of scuba mode after a free dive mode selection. It's mostly to prevent liability if you freedive after scuba when the state of your bubbles will be anyone's guess so the computer says "no"

The opposite is an unusual use case. Physiologically if you are freediving clean i.e. No existing gas saturation then you should be fine for scuba afterwards. Your best bet is to get a cheap bottom timer for freediving.

The opposite is an unusual use case. Physiologically if you are freediving clean i.e. No existing gas saturation then you should be fine for scuba afterwards. Your best bet is to get a cheap bottom timer for freediving.

I would argue this is a very usual case, your getting food so your only going to dive once a day max and you don't want to waste your air until you have a good spot.

Though it does appear you can turn the zoop novo off when freediving so at least you can wear it and i assume get the date & time.

"Dive Modes: .......
Off: turns dive mode off completely; the dive computer does not automatically switch the dive mode when submerged and dive planning mode is hidden"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom