computer rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wschul

Reaction score
Hello fellow divers,

On our recent trip to Sharm-el-Sheik we rented our gear at the dive operator we went diving with. Since we both had our own computer they gave us a 'standard' console with SPG and depth gauge. But people who didn't have their own computer were given a console with an SPG and a non-air integrated computer (I believe a Mares). They did not get a manual or any other piece of instruction in writing. Most of these fairly inexperienced divers were using a computer for the first time. They had only a few hours on the boat to familiarise themselfs with it (as far as possible).
I was wondering if this is common and accepted practice. A computer is a complicated machine and one quick verbal instruction may not be enough to understand the numbers and symbols confronted with underwater.
"I think I am at 30 meters but what is that beeping and flashing arrow all about?"
:thinkof:
Any thoughts / experiences on this?

Wouter

I rented computers twice before purchasing. In both cases, I got the computer and instruction on how to use it before I left the shop. Since I was using it mostly as a bottom timer and log, it was pretty straight forward. I was not allowed to change the defaults and the down loads would have been useless anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom