Computer reads 1 ft at surface - normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @spatty99

Was the computer on when you unpackaged it? Perhaps it got activated at a slightly higher altitude than your current altitude and then thought it was at 1 foot of depth. That might continue in the water due to the incorrect setting. Perhaps the reset you did set the correct altitude. I have a considerably older computer that was activated on a plane and then thought it was at a shallow dive depth. I had to remove and replace the battery to reset it.

If this is the case, you may have nothing to worry about. Best to check with Seac customer service

Could be. It was on, I think technically in sleep mode. It didn't have to boot up when I took it out of the package, just hit a button and the screen lit up. The shipping container was a little beat up (they used a cheap plastic envelope instead of splurging on a cardboard box!).

Got a very prompt reply from Seac, below. Sounds like it automatically calibrates periodically to atmospheric pressure, so hopefully good to go...

"The pressure sensor could be sometimes sensible to external pressure.
It should reset automatically but of after reset is ok you won’t have any issues."

I went for a (6ft) dive in the pool to watch readings at different levels, and the depth was off. It was generally within about a foot, but when I kept it at the bottom of the pool (exactly 6 feet) it would fluctuate between 4 and 6 feet (dead calm water), and logged a max depth of 7.3 feet. Definitely not right, so thankfully it was an easy return via Amazon to LeisurePro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom