Computer Nice- and Have-to-Haves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conway400

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been diving for years, but with being older and having sons that dive now, I am interested in considering a computer. What feature or features or algorithm type make the most difference in a nice computer? Consider that budget is a big consideration and that the decision to be wrist mounted, nitrox capable and non-AI have already been made.

I have read on here before about certain algorithms that do a better job of calculating (by the method employed) nitrogen loading than others. I would love to know more about that and how one would know quickly how to distinguish between the two types (or more) when shopping.

Thanks is advance! All info is welcome.

There really isn't any "better job" of calculation. Different computers use different algorithms to calculate nitrogen loading -- a lot of this has to do with what assumptions are made about what the maximum tolerated nitrogen tension in a given compartment is (M value). This can result in quite different no-deco limits between models. I remember reviewing this in Lippmann & Mitchell's book, and seeing that there could be up to 11 minutes of difference at a given depth. Which model you choose may depend on how conservative you would like your limits to be (and some computers allow you to adjust this to a degree). All of the models used in commercially available computers "work", because the liability in selling a computer using a model that had a high rate of DCS would be intolerable.

What may play a more important role in your choice is the usability of the computer itself. All computers should clearly indicate your depth and time, and no-deco limits, if you are using them. Having those numbers be well-located and readable is very important. Some computers will have ascent rate indicators or nitrogen bar graphs, or alarms for ascent rate, no-deco time, and other things. Some have things like stopwatches or built-in compasses (do any of those really WORK?).

Given your stated choices, I'd recommend the Aladin Tec 2G (or whatever the current model is called). They can be found from time to time for under $300, if you look. That computer meets your criteria, has a Deep Sea Supply boot available for wrist mounting it (a deal-breaker for me!), has a stopwatch and depth averaging, and has excellent logging software.

There are more than 100 different models out there.....:depressed:

Use our Dive Computers Research Tool to compare them side-by-side.

Good luck.

Go with Oceanic, they have the best algorithms because you can chose to be conservative or libral in your diving. They are amazing computers, you have everything you need in any Oceanic computer. I would recomend any from the VEO line (1,2, or 3) or the GEO 2.0. Those would be the best for the budget and what you need.

Chosing to be conservative or libral in your diving must not be driven by a DC, but in the way you dive!!!

Get an DC that fits your needs and $pocket$

In spite of what might be considered excessive lauding, I also recommend an Oceanic (or other Pelagic manufactured) for the simple reason that they seem to be the most liberal. After starting off with a fairly conservative computer, I switched to th4e most liberal, proven safe computer I could find. It is quite easy for the diver to make a more conservative dive than his liberal computer permits. It is very difficult for the diver to make a more liberal (but safe) dive than his conservative computer permits.

BTW, if the budget is tight, you can always look for a used one. The only thing that really changes is the bell and whistles.

"Most liberal" to me equates to "best chance of getting bent". I fail to see that as an asset my self . . . .

- Tim

"Most liberal" to me equates to "best chance of getting bent". I fail to see that as an asset my self . . . .

- Tim

And how many people have been "bent" on these most liberal computers?
They are the most liberal out of the computers available. All are skewed to the side of being safe. Let's not confuse people by claiming that if you use some of the computers that are out their they will get hurt. That is just ignorant. If you think having a computer that is more conservative makes you safer by giving you larger safety margins then say that. I say that if you 'need' those larger safety margins when you dive it might be time to adjust your diving :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom