computer loss prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dd500psi

Reaction score
Will be purchasing my first wrist mounted dive computer soon and was wondering if anyone out there has any ideas about preventing loss of the computer in case the wrist band were to brake.

Go to a well stocked dive shop and you will find all sorts of inexpensive clips (some with coils) that would allow you to rig it to a second strap (velcro) that goes around your wrist. If the primary strap breaks the other will be attached to the computer.

Buy a lanyard with a cord on it the type used for dive lights, by trident or cetsea sp. Look at the computer and figure out where to run it, often through a hole above the buckle when it is closed. I have all of my computers set up this way, make sure it will hold the computer should the strap break, so don’t just run it around the strap.

Put the rubber loop of the lanyard tight around your wrist then put the computer on. I found a vyper someone lost at a popular dive site here, no one claimed it when I advertised it locally. I have a UW-Photo friend who had lost a computer a year for several years until she put on a lanyard. The problem in the Northwest is putting a wrist computer around your wrist with a dry suit and thick gloves on. At depth the shrinkage is extreme and loosens the computer. Many womens’ and small mens’ wrists (with suit and gloves) are about as thick as their hands and computers easily slip off.

I like a wrist mounted computer as it is easier to read and I don’t look at my air as often as my depth.

I've replace the straps on my gauges/compas with bungee or Elastic. It is cheap and it wont break but for me the big benefit is that it is much easier to put on over a suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom