computer console on octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starfish

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a newbie getting ready to purchase my first set of equipment. I have been doing the usual research and have decided agains an Air2 system because I like the redundancy of an "old" style independent back-up reg.

Now I am looking at other octo options.
(I have a wrist mounted compass.)

What I am interested in knowing, are people's opinions on the octo and computer integrated console config versus the "old" 2 guage console plus a wrist mounted computer?

Would you recommend the 2 guage consule plus a computer in case the integrated one dies? or the "new complete" octo and console combo?

Thx Starfish

I'm a little confused on your description. Are you asking for our opinions on a console that has an secondary air source (octo) as part of it?

This can't be since the console is almost always on a high pressure line for the SPG (submersible pressure gauge) and your octo requires a low pressure line.

As far as guage layout, it is somewhat of a personal preference issue. I have everything on a 2+1 console (2 spots on front, 1 on back) and it works fine for me.

I'm also having a hard time figuring out what you mean about a console on the octo. If you mean a separate high pressure line with your spg and computer, that makes perfect sense, but the octo is simply your backup regulator and the hose for it. Personally, I prefer a wrist mounted computer, and wouldn't go for an air-integrated one. I figure that's one more thing that could go wrong and cause me to lose out on diving while repairing the computer or getting a lowtech gauge mounted on the hose. I have my spg and compass on a 2 slot console. Just personal preference, though.

The Air Integrated Console versus 2 guage console

For example the AERIS Atmos Sport Air guage console has a tank pressure guage (standrad dial clock-like face) plus a computer which indicates depth, tempurature, time, etc. in a backlite display.

versus

what I user in my C card classes:
depth and pressure guage in an analogue/clock-like dial face

I assume that if the backlite computer failed, that you would have no way of knowing your depth?

Okay, I see what you're getting at. That would work just fine. Personally I am not currently a fan of air integrated computers for a couple of reasons.

1 There is no backup on measuring your air supply. Your computer has a hiccup, you don't know how much air you have left, abort dive, and if you can't mount an spg in the field, abort diving until you can get one. Worse case being an out of air situation because of said hiccup....Not my idea of a good dive.

2 The things are about twice as expensive as a non air computer and spg combo. (That's just the penny-pincher in me showing). For a lot less money you can still get a computer with all the functions you are considering, just minus the tank information.

Many choices...

First -- air-integrated computers. Higher cost for the convenience of having all of your data in one place (depth, time, gas info). Some folks also like the ability to analyze their dives via PC interface, including gas consumption. Some folks provide the argument that if your air-integrated computer dies, you can't dive (or you are in trouble if underwater). There are also wrist-mounted AI computers which get gas data from your tank via an electronic transmitter......this would be the least conservative option, IMHO.

Wrist vs. hose-mount. There are a few options here. I personally have my compass on my left wrist, Suunto Vyper on my right wrist and an Uwatec Master Diver SPG all by its lonesome attached to my HP hose (clipped off to BC D-ring with a bolt snap). You could also have SPG and compass in a console and the computer on your wrist, or all three in a console. This comes down to personal preference.

If you are newly certified, it probably makes sense to try things out via borrowing or rental before making this investment. It's only after you get some dives under your belt that you'll begin to understand which you like (and what kind of future diving you'll be doing, which may affect your decisions). Also -- talk to other divers that you know and trust -- ask them why their gauges are configured the way they are (sometimes the answer is "it's what the dive shop sold me -- doesn't everyone have a 3 gauge console?"; in other cases, they may have thought this decision through carefully). Bottom line -- make sure you make your purchase decision based on your style of diving, not someone else's.

Thank you for your input.

I have been on only 12 dives post OW, using a total of 4 different set ups. None of the SPG's had computers with them. In fact, I had never seen a dive computer not on a wrist mount until this past month. Usually the DM's I see (I have dove with a total of 6 either during my C-card instruction or off boats) are playing with the latest gear or own the latest, and none of them had them either.

Now that I think about it, that probably answers more of my questions :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom