Computer Anti-Virus Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need help from the computer techies out there!! :blinking:

For the last year, at home, we've had the anti-virus software Kaspersky. We need to either renew or change to something else.

I'd like to get something that works well without problems (hate Norton!). Is Kaspersky the one I should still be looking at?

I'd be nice if I could buy the program and use it on a couple different computer (don't know if this is possible or not). We have several here.

Thanks!!

You might want to look at AVG. The price is reasonable and it is not very resource hungry. I discarded Norton a long time ago (uses way to much resources). I have used ESET, it is very lightweight but let some local Chinese virus in that I could not remove. McAffee was better, I ran it a year before it let some nasty virus in. It did remove them, but not before we passed along a present that keeps on giving to our friends.

So far AVG has been 100% (I run 3 computers on my desk 24/7 plus 4 more in the family) for the past 3 months.

I switched from AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials. Since last summer I've had no issues with it. Both are free for non-commercial use. If you decide on the free AVG, download and install the free Comodo firewall also. Both are pretty unobtrusive.

Ann Marie, I use AVG as my anti virus and Zone alarm for a firewall. Both come in a free version and they don't slow the computer down.

I tried McAfee and Norton and they slowed my computers to a crawl. Not worth the hassel.

The reason I use Zone Alarm is that it stops un-identified traffic go out as well as going into the computer. Other firewalls only work to deter outside threats from getting in. They do you no good if there is a key logger or other data mining virus that is trying to export information from your computer.

Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it. I know what I usually need to know to work on my computer, but once we start talking the techie stuff I'm lost!

I've been using Avast home on 2 of my computers and I'm satisfied with it's performance.
In the past I used AVG, Nortons and Mcaffee.

Norton had a number of years where performance went to the stinker. But since 2009, and even more with 2010, it has been winning awards and dusting the competition in terms of performance.

I suggest you try the fully functional 15-day demo version. It takes less than a minute to install.

http://www.norton.com/nis10

Back
Top Bottom