Computer and Backup Configuration for Rec Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a recreational diver. I would even go as far as to say that I am a vacation diver. Please allow me to address your questions.

First, with regards to why a rec diver would need a back-up computer, a couple years ago, I was on a LOB, and my computer failed. Luckily, the boat had a spare which they were kind enough to lend me for the rest of the week. If they didn't, then I would have had no computer and would have been done diving for the week. Having a Back-up or a redundancy is never a bad idea. When I got home, I bought a computer that I could use as a back up. As the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is zero."

Second, with regards to AI, I don't understand your issue with a recreational diver having AI. It just makes sense to have your information located on the same device. A diver can look at their AI computer and can check all relevant information. Doing it any other way is simply not efficient. Many (most???) AI computers also display both NDL and some variation of GTR, so the diver constantly knows whether their dive will be limited by NDL or by GTR and how long they have before they have to end the dive.

I don't imagine for a second that I have convinced you, but that is OK. We are both entitled to our opinions.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions but in fact they were rhetorical questions to try to bring the point that information is not to be confused with knowledge.

There's my computer behind the mask

full

The backup is at the top of the pull rod which is up post dive.

y
There's my computer behind the mask

full

The backup is at the top of the pull rod which is up post dive.
you mean the mask is in front of the visual sensors of the computer? :) :)

OP here, thank you all for your input A couple of things. Yes, I am 61, but I just passed my SFG 1 certification two weekends ago, so I plan on diving and being around for quite some time God willing. As far as having a back-up, when I pop the $$ for the LOBs, I don't want a computer failure to screw me out of any part of the trip :)...and finally as someone mentioned earlier there is need, and there is also want.

Again thanks for everyone's input.

...Nobody gets out alive but he could have many years of diving adventures yet to go...
True, my philosophy is it's not a numbers/years game, but a quality of life/active life to the end game...

The only problem with the spare is that it had no idea about your residual nitrogen. While there is some risk due to this, there are ways to deal with it that while fall under normalization of deviance, but understandable given the time/expense/rarity of being on a liveaboard.
Agree, that's why I wear both my computers on all dives.

First, with regards to why a rec diver would need a back-up computer, a couple years ago, I was on a LOB, and my computer failed. Luckily, the boat had a spare which they were kind enough to lend me for the rest of the week. If they didn't, then I would have had no computer and would have been done diving for the week.
I was certified in the Stone Age. We used these things called tables to calculate our NDLs. Usually, we simply used the 120 rule for single dives. I would not have missed any dives that trip.

As for the OP, I would buy the computer he wants and sell the others on Ebay.

I was certified in the Stone Age. We used these things called tables to calculate our NDLs. Usually, we simply used the 120 rule for single dives. I would not have missed any dives that trip.

As for the OP, I would buy the computer he wants and sell the others on Ebay.
I was trained and certified on tables as well.

We used these things called tables to calculate our NDLs. Usually, we simply used the 120 rule for single dives.
Rule of 120 wasn't bad...for air....for the first dive....tough to use on a liveaboard.
I would not have missed any dives that trip.
It was a liveaboard; 4-5 dives a day, hard to keep any useful BTs with all that repetitive diving....if using tables assuming square profiles.
Why would you have been done diving for the week without a computer?
I'll bet he could have done 2, maybe 3 dives a day! Too bad about wasting the others....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom