Computer and Backup Configuration for Rec Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phillm47

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I own a Shearwater Peregrine and an Aqualung i550C. Both are great for old, aging eyes. BUT I wish I had AI so I could see tank pressure on my wrist computer. Buy right, cry once...I know... FWIW, I am strictly a rec diver and will be working on/getting my DM rating in 2022. At age 61, I do not see tech diving in my future, but one never knows.

So what would you do...

1. Buy a Perdix AI, keep the i550C as back-up and give the Peregrine to my daughter.
2. Buy a Perdix AI, keep the Peregrine as backup, reinstall the PSG and give the i550C to my daughter.
3. Live with what I have and deal with not having tank pressure on my wrist.
4. Do something completely different...

Thanks

Add Perdix AI. Use Peregrine for backup. Kid has better eyes, I assume, so let her have the AL computer.

Hi @phillm47

So, it depends.

What GF settings do you run on your Peregrine and are you happy with that? The Aqua Lung runs PZ+, it probably runs pretty close to a GF high of 85 (medium preset on the Peregrine). You probably don't want your two computers to run terribly different NDLs. You would be limited by the more conservative, or have to clear its deco to avoid going into violation gauge mode, assuming it's the Aqua Lung.

Shearwater certainly has some additional information that you will find useful when you try it, like SurfGF.

So, what you do depends on what you really want. For me, I would buy a Perdix AI or a Teric for the AI. I would keep the Peregrine to run identically to the AI computer. If you want redundant gas pressure, run a SPG, I do. I'll take door #2.

If your daughter needs a computer, she would probably be happy with the hosed AI i550C. My wife and daughter both used older Oceanic Pro Plus 2s and love them.

Life is too short and we shouldn’t postpone the joy
The OP is 61 and looking to expand his diving life in ways yet to be determined. I assume that before making that decision, he looked at his overall financial situation and determined that doing so is affordable, and I congratulate him upon reaching that point in life.

Having reached a point much like that during my own twilight years, I developed a mathematical process that helps me make a decision on the occasions I am torn like this. I take the cost of the item and divide it by the number of years I expect to be dead.

I'd go with two. I can relate to declining eyesight. Having AI sure is nice if you are a photographer or want to keep your eyes on your child/grandchild at all times.

I never had AI until this year and it sure is nice. Just tool around until the reserve pressure warning buzzes and then go up. :)

Food for thought. I am 48 and have slowly declining eyesight from age. I wear reading glasses, low magnification reading glasses for computer work, and corrective lenses for farther objects.

I have a Teric and Perdix and I find that I can read the Teric much much better than the Perdix. The screen is smaller yes, but the brightness and clarity more than make up for that and make the screen readability much superior, despite being smaller. I also find the 4 button interface of the teric superior to the 2 button interface of the perdix.

You may consider trying them side by side if you are seriously considering them.

Hopefully this is not a derail, but let's assume the OP decided against spending any more money and used the i550C as the primary and the Peregrine as backup.
Would this config require an SPG, resulting in 2 hoses?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom