Computer and Backup Configuration for Rec Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a Nerd :cool:

Perdix as primary, Periguine as backup (both set to same gradient factors), daughter gets cast-offs and can inherit your dive kit.

Logic: Shearwater computers are easily read and easy to use. It is best to dive two computers that agree with each other with the same algorithms. Both computers will work well if you do light technical diving (no helium), Perdix will work for any diving, recreational or technical/CCR. Daughter will appreciate the Shearwaters if she has to wait.

So, I own a Shearwater Peregrine and an Aqualung i550C. Both are great for old, aging eyes. BUT I wish I had AI so I could see tank pressure on my wrist computer. Buy right, cry once...I know... FWIW, I am strictly a rec diver and will be working on/getting my DM rating in 2022. At age 61, I do not see tech diving in my future, but one never knows.

So what would you do...

1. Buy a Perdix AI, keep the i550C as back-up and give the Peregrine to my daughter.
2. Buy a Perdix AI, keep the Peregrine as backup, reinstall the PSG and give the i550C to my daughter.
3. Live with what I have and deal with not having tank pressure on my wrist.
4. Do something completely different...

Thanks
I'd go with the second option.

I have noticed that despite both being on same GF, NDL times are different, ditto depth reading and temp. I guess there's a +/-. I was initially surprised as assumed all but identical readings.

Get a Nerd :cool:

Perdix as primary, Periguine as backup (both set to same gradient factors), daughter gets cast-offs and can inherit your dive kit.

Logic: Shearwater computers are easily read and easy to use. It is best to dive two computers that agree with each other with the same algorithms. Both computers will work well if you do light technical diving (no helium), Perdix will work for any diving, recreational or technical/CCR. Daughter will appreciate the Shearwaters if she has to wait.
I can't imagine diving CC without a NERD2

I have noticed that despite both being on same GF, NDL times are different, ditto depth reading and temp. I guess there's a +/-. I was initially surprised as assumed all but identical readings.
This will come from subtle differences in pressure or between pressure sensors. Notice this a fair amount between the Petrel on my wrist and Nerd in front of my face. Can be a minute or more decompression discrepancy at the end of the dive.

Saved 40 grand last year by cancelling all my cars insurances, except third party, and that is conservative

Your dwindling eyes will rapidly overtake your ability for excuses to buy fancier bigger screen computers

full

or just make one like I did for pennies, and make sure you squash those nudis properly

Go diving!

Ok, playing the Devil advocate, I dare to ask: who need a back-up computer for rec dives :)
As for AI, what is the point? Don't you (general "you":))know your approximate consumption and is to watch the gauge 4 or 5 dives during the dive, a difficult task?
Keep the easier one to read for yourself and give the other to your daughter.

Ok, playing the Devil advocate, I dare to ask: who need a back-up computer for rec dives :)
As for AI, what is the point? Don't you (general "you":))know your approximate consumption and is to watch the gauge 4 or 5 dives during the dive, a difficult task?
As with most things in life, it's not about need but want...

I agree entirely. Two computers for rec diving are not only unneeded, but even a trouble. I always appreciated the KISS approach (keep it simple stupid). What you don't have, cannot break. Use the same approach on my offroad vehicles (pickup and motorbikes). The simpler, the better.
So I would keep the good computer (the Peregrine in your case) and give the other to your daughter. Or, better, buy another Peregrine for her... And be happy with your old-style SPG. I usually use my one only 3 times for each dive:
1) On the boat, when I open the tank, and I check that there are at least 200 bars (my tank is a 15 liters, 232 bars) - at that point I also test breathing, and check that the SPG pressure is NOT dropping during berating, if it drops, it means there is some obstruction in the valve or in the metal filter of the reg... Doing such test with an AI computer is not so easy!
2) At the end of the dive, when I think is more or less time to end the dive, I check the SPG for having an idea of my air consumption, usually it is yet around 120-130 bars, sometimes it is around 100, which means I did make a lot of effort.
3) After surfacing, and hence after doing the safety or deco stops, I check a third time, just for being sure that there are at least 50 bars left, as planned.
My wife uses the same tank as me, and she has much less gas consumption, so in practice she only checks the initial pressure, and then she forgets entirely about her SPG. She usually surfaces with more than 100 bars, often 120. I think that all the problems reported here on SB about people risking to finish their tank (and hence needing to check their SPG often) is due to the bad idea of using too small tanks, such as those crap AL80, which in fact are almost unknown here.

Back
Top Bottom