compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simcoediver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a book available with step by step instructions on building your own small portable compressor? I am mechanically inclined with machining and welding skills but would still need a guide to follow.

If you have intended to building your own small potable compressor, from an efficiency point of view, try to buy a used and cheap set then ovehaul it by yourself may be it'is a good way for your case. To build an entire compressor (HPA) by personal Beleived need to be invest a huge of money on the machine tools.

Simcoediver, it's never too late, but the age of "do it yourself" passed on fifty years ago. All kinds of books and sheets were available to build everything from wetsuits to assembling compressors. Today, it is the internet and word of mouth. Spearos are into it. Oh well, get a copy of the pampflet available on Vintage Scuba. It is not "building" but assembling. It requires a 1/2 million dollars in tools to build a high pressure pump plus an investment (lost wax) casting facility. There have been some terrific used or surplus compressors on EBay as recently as last week. This is from a bygone age but still speaks to some:
http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/repro.html

I and "pp" assembled our own, or modified existing surplus gear to suit our needs. I learned from a German machinist, former employee of a compressor mfgr, who assembled and rebuilt surplus pumps, fabricated filter housing and frames. The books were the very thorough and logical operating manuals prepared by the manufacturers and published by the military.

pescador775:
Simcoediver, it's never too late, but the age of "do it yourself" passed on fifty years ago. All kinds of books and sheets were available to build everything from wetsuits to assembling compressors. Today, it is the internet and word of mouth. Spearos are into it. Oh well, get a copy of the pampflet available on Vintage Scuba. It is not "building" but assembling. It requires a 1/2 million dollars in tools to build a high pressure pump plus an investment (lost wax) casting facility. There have been some terrific used or surplus compressors on EBay as recently as last week. This is from a bygone age but still speaks to some:
http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/repro.html

I and "pp" assembled our own, or modified existing surplus gear to suit our needs. I learned from a German machinist, former employee of a compressor mfgr, who assembled and rebuilt surplus pumps, fabricated filter housing and frames. The books were the very thorough and logical operating manuals prepared by the manufacturers and published by the military.

Hi Pesky,

Wow, 1/2 million dollars- a huge money. now I got a number. Thanks !

Last time I been Talking about an Inverter which used on my Core Kidde, here is the photos http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=534
, the reason why I had chosen the "Yaskawa" Verispeed 616H3 model is that, this series inverter with a high efficiency on the power converting ( see the input current and output current ratio ) also the output voltage v.s frequency can be adjust by user to match the motor specification.
Peter

I have two Kidde compressors. I have been using the 3.5. I have a 4 that I am setting up.

I need gaskets for the one I have been using and lines for the filter on the one I am setting up. Does anyone know a source for parts?

Parts? No. Bargain Marge may have something for the 3.5. She used to sell a lot of them until the supply dried up. I guess you are talking about the copper gaskets under the heads? Maybe you are talking about the seals front and back? Maybe you are talking about the thin gasket under the 1st stage head? Are you talking about shims? Maybe you are talking about the gasket under the first stage cylinder where it bolts to the block? It is a puzzle. Most gaskets can be replicated. There is a neat tool which acts like a draftsman's compass but has knife blade instead of a pencil. Round, thin gaskets can be made from teflon sheet or from regular gasket material. Something like that. Those cool, little blades that fit into a handle can be used to cut square gaskets.

Lines? Are you talking about high pressure tubing? I'm guessing yes. If so, go to EBay and pick up some 1/4 inch SS tubing. Buy a Ridgid 37 degree flaring tool off EBay. Get some SS AN-4 flare nuts and sleeves from McMaster Carr. Buy a tube bending tool for the neatest bends. With this modest outlay you can make cooling coils, connecting lines or whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom